Grounding an Electric Planer (photos)

Hi, this is my first post here in the forum.

recently i bought a makita planer… the 0810 and i was constantly getting zapped so my solution was to add a ground to thw whole planer…

so heres is my project, it worked wery well…

(today im also working on the vacuum system and I will post it soon.)

sorry about the overposting… i just cant seen to find the delete buttom

here is the sequence

Hello ntsurf666 —

Looks like you did a good job.  I’d still be a bit concerned as electrical safety is serious stuff. 

My background is in medical electro-diagnostics and I know there are some stringent requirements in hospitals regarding chassis leakage, etc.  It seems odd to me that you were receiving a shock in the first place, especially on a power tool with plastic body(?)  Hopefully you will get a multimeter and figure out how to test this further.

Power outlets can be wired incorrectly and power tools can go wonky… either way, you don’t want juice traveling through your ticker to ground.

Maybe someone like Pete Casica or Bill Thrailkill will chime in on this.

https://www.mddionline.com/leakage-current-standards-simplified

Hello!

The shock im receiving i think is the static of the EPS with the tool.

It happened when i touched the metal base plate

Hope it helps

Thanks for posting this since my Makita Conversion Kit uses the factory 2-wire cord because many are not used with a vac system. 

I do use a 3-wire cord in the same way to static-ground my ready-to-go Makita conversions, but you only need to ground to the base.  The factory 2-wire setup however still complies with all UL and international regulations for a double-insulated tool so electrically it’s safe.  The shocks are from static discharge which is a result of foam dust swirling around the vacuum hose and/or inside the planer NOT from the electrical input.  By grounding the base (only metal part closest to the operator), the static charge will go from the plastic to the base which in turn goes to the grounded outlet.  The ground path to the operator is much higher resistance (about 20K ohms per UL) so no more shocks.  So this isn’t really an electrical safety ground but when you get zapped an arc is involved which could ignite anything flamable so it’s best to fix it.  Light a match and toss up some polyfoam dust around it and you’ll see what I mean.

There are other methods like using a grounded hose or putting a ground wire in the hose.  A lot depends on the hose length, power of the vacuum system, and other factors.  Worst case will always be a plain shop vac in a metal shipping container shaping bay with a metal-housing tool like a Skil or Rockwell.   Most vacuum hoses for power tools (Bosch, Festool, etc) are grounded hoses but you still have to ground the hose at the vacuum unless you use their vacuums. Go here for more info on static grounding of tools:  https://www.rockler.com/dust-grounding-kit

I have attempted to delete, edit, or move the duplicate posts, and for some unknown reason I am unable to - I was able to edit and move one, but the others remain.  I get the message “the alias is already in use”, whatever that means.

Although it was a bit of a pain, as there were so many pics, I WAS able to go back and re-size the pics down to a reasonable size, so they no longer take forever to show up, and no longer appear sideways on my screen.  Its a glitch of swaylocks that the website doesn’t resize pics when you post them, or at least warn you that anything in MB category will likely appear distorted (sideways or upside down).  But KB size files seem to be fine, its the MB size thats just too big.  I just prefer seeing pics right side up, for some reason.

Pete Casica - Thanks for taking the time to clear that up!

Huck- I got the same message.