Gun dimensions

I prefer the AR-180 over all the others inc. the M-10/AR-10…It should have been the official rifle in my opinion.Got to go…Will pm you tommorrow…got a real treat to tell you about.

Let’s start a new thread on the Harbour “Revolver”, so that we can compare Colt’s, Smith & Wesson’s, Korth’s, Manhurin’s and Ruger’s models, OK?

Kidding, I’m a gun fan, too…

Yeah my whole contingent of ex NavySealUDT boyz liked the Stoner over any other system, but they’re pretty maniacal about maintainance, I suspect.

Totally going against the grain of conventional thought, they prized the Ithaga pump also, and venerated the BrowningHiPower (which I also loved).

Was some fun times talking the stuff in '77, when we met up on the NorthShore after they got out of their 8 year hitches. I believed so much in the .45Auto that I ended up getting maybe 7 of 'em and competiting in IPSC shoots, even getting a guest week at Gunsite.

Pandanus,
As entertaining as the thread has gotten ( and informative in it's own way- I certainly know which Swaylockians to NOT piss off) here's some minor surfboard info- check the Downingsurf.com website- George and Keone Downing know guns and make beautiful boards. There's a real nice one on there.

Lee,

I have owned several 45s in my life and had a love/hate relationship…w/ that design…good solid choice for a back-up…kinda the AK of pistols…My last was a brushed stainless GoldCup Combat Commander 70 series w/low “B” serial#s…custom fitted on a Para-ord. stainless frame…I even got the reduced grips,but it still felt like I was holding the distal end of a baseball bat !!!Super-Good+ fire power!!!..I now prefer the standard frame 45s after owning that job…I don’t own any foe-fivs right now…but I have Three 9mm Hi-Powers…a Basic PJK-9 Hungarian…2dollar job…good+ user, An Argie “Detective”(cutdown slide/full frame) with a really thick zinc/phosphate coat on it…I guess to hide the imperfections/die grinder marks,etc.,It functions flawlessly(after I did my magic to her),and again another 2buck gun…very good + user…

my fav is my brushed stainless-custom Pacmyer, ramped/throated/ported…this one “out right” is the reason I sold my 45s off…

(What’s kinda “Ironic” is I don’t care for the Pac. grips,or the stock woodies for that matter at all,and replaced ALL of them w/ Hogie grips,Moe Betta Bras)…oh yeah,I took out the mag disconnectors,…TOO…it stopped the '“dead trigger syndrome”, smoothed out the gritty pull, and reduced it by a whooooooole lot ,as well…the Pac. all ready had it’s DC removed…I have all the pieces…But only if I sell them, will they go back in.

Never official competed in any kind of shootin’ event really(to busy qualifing w/ odd stuff to gain my Lt. weapons expert dubbie badge),that I can recollect,but livin’ with my dad…you either "shoot or you surf ".

Yeah, solid wood grips for me too, no rubber.

I still got a GoldCup up at my brother’s, it’s actually a BobChow tuned NationalMatch. Haven’t seen it now for 25 years.

Had two lightweight Commanders, both way modified, taken from me by the cops. Wild night adventure cab driving days.

At Gunsite, they got me to try the CZ, which I own now in 9 with 125 grain flatpoints. A little fatter grip, a little shorter front to back, waaay reliable and not too accurate, but better than anything stock. Rested 25yard groups right around 3", OK for the real world.

Thanks consafos,

We have stricked gun laws in oz.

Only cops and criminals can own them.

The Downing site shows they were on to progressive gun outlines quite early, very intriguing.

Quote:
The Downing site shows they were on to progressive gun outlines quite early, very intriguing.

Outlines yes.

Rockers no.

Even in the 70s rockers on guns were MUCH less than today’s standards. I feel MUCH more comfortable on steep bigger faces with today’s rockers.

Pandanus,

Did you ever get what you were looking for? By that I mean usable info for the board you want to build. I have always been focused on gunny boards, so PM me with some info about you (ht., wt.), if you would like some input.

Since the first part of this post there’s been the Surfer’s Journal article on George Downing and his boards- some really nice outlines there but you’re right- all those old boards seem pretty flat. Downing & co rode them in some pretty serious waves but I think I’d want some rocker on those puppies. (Of course I’m nowhere NEAR the surfer or man that George is!)

Style of surfing in  50s and 60s was still more angling along, rockers reflect this, or maybe better, rockers dictated it. I dont recall many straight pit drops in old Waimea footage; even after the advent of  shorter hot dog designs and styles there wasn't a lot of top to bottom and back again surfing on big guns there. Is there now?  Big  Sunset and Pipeline definitely dictated different tools and styles in the 70s; and a Waimea gun will get stink eyed at Sunset, and hung up at Pipe. 

So far Rhino rocker calls in here are about 6" nose and 3" tail, thats not much more than the 5.75" and 2.75" on my 7"-4", just a stretched wheel base. Once you've survived the paddle, the line up and the drop, you wish you could turn it on that 7-4 wheelbase, thats the comment I continually hear in the line up. Some say more width, others a quad fin design, hidden wings, rocker panels, adjustable fin cluster.........  

Now lets throw in a half dozen potential composite schedules.......just to simplify things.

Thanks Bill, I ended up going with a 7’6 as the full rhino chaser would just gather dust. It will be a wall hanger but will get riden when the day is right .I doesn’t get that big here . It’s a double concave round pin 3 stringer. thanks once again, I will pm you on my next one .