Hansen 50-50 in NJ

Good afternoon folks,

I scored this Hansen last week in NJ and was hoping, based on the number in the Tail block I could get an approximate year it was built. Kind of suntanned bottom and deck is in very good shape. One repaired ding, but that’s it. There is some brown spotting speckled throughout, but those seem to be in the glass. Thinking maybe air bubbles from the foam that discolored over time? Also some sporadic tanning that also seems to be under the gloss coat. Purely aesthetic. Any suggestions, short of peeling off the glass, how to bring back the bottom. Again just aesthetics. There also is some of the weave of the glass showing towards the rails on the bottom. All original fin with some discoloration around the base. No hole drilled through fin either.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Dave

What EXACTLY, is the board number, and any letters associated with it. It’s difficult to see in the photo. I was shaping for Hansen, when that board was built.

it looks like < 12940-T

It may be <12980-T

I’m a bit confused by the < symbol, preceding the numerals. Not sure why it’s there. The number appears to be 12940 T. The writing appears to have been done by my hand, and the T was my designator. So, I’m the shaper, and the number is consistent with the latter part of 1966.

It ma be a C or L. Tough to see.

Ride it…
Shaped by a great…

That’s the plan.

Thank you for that information Mr. Thraikill. That is what I was asking for. I plan on riding this board, but always am curious about provenance.

It looks pretty solid for its age. Always funny to see the red “50” faded away to nothing in the lam.
As to your questions about any work to be done? The discoloration on the bottom is sun damage. Specifically, UV exposure. That is usually right in the foam. Sometimes, the resin will yellow over time but most of the color shift is in the foam. Best you can do is maybe sand the whole bottom and do a new gloss coat. I would not even consider stripping anything. Otherwise, make it water tight and leave it be.
Cool that is has a double t-band with red and blue foam that match the 50-50 logo. Makes the board a bit different from the average.

Thanks Sammy. You basically confirmed what I was thinking. I figured it was in the foam and not the resin, at least not to the color that it is. The board is solid with no soft spots/delam at all. Just some nicks here and there that need to be repaired to make her water tight. I never considered tearing off the glass. No reason to. Thanks for the reply.
Yes the stringer is cool. That along with the length of 9’4" made me think it was a custom.

This is a testament to the craftsmanship of the the build 50+ years ago.