Hansen 50/50 mini

sultry summer night and I wandered into the local pop-out shop. Strolling thru aisles of uninspiring logs and turn the corner to see this lying on a board stand.

Thought it must be in for a repair until I saw the price sticker on it. Asked and turns out local guy (original owner) turned it in for consignment just a couple hours ago. Shop guys said they were just going to put it up in the rafters for display but there was no more room. He he…got more than a few nods when I walked it out the door.

7’10” and I think Bill shaped it because of the T in serial number, but am curious about the year, narrow stringer and standard lam rather than mini.

also compared it to my Tyler Mini Zeke - interesting.

Really similar lines and fin - just a bit more nose rocker on Tyler.

sorry about the neck twister.

Yep, I’m the shaper.      Used a Flair felt tip pen, to sign the board number.      Year of production was early 1969, just before I left Hansen, to start Surf Systems.

You also have one of the few 50/50 decals, that still display the red color, unfaded.      Protect it from constant, direct sun exposure.     The red color, is not UV stable.     Bear in mind, that the board was shaped, just shy of fifty years ago.       The stringer, 1/8th inch Redwood was popular then, in the persuit of lighter and lighter finished boards.    Nice find.

Thanks Bill - she’s going back in the water tomorrow!

Good to know about the red - I figured it must have been stored inside since the fin also is holding the nice green color without any signs of oxidation. Still got some flex too.

Nice score on a good example of a transitional board. Looks damn clean, too. The only flaw I spot is the hole in the fin, but you’re lucky it even has the fin.

Bill is right about the red dye/ink. Not many still have the second 50 in the lam.

So, one major detail you do not mention… how much did you pay?

That board is very similar to my Con CC Mini Pin.

$475 all in :wink:

would love to see pics of that if you have handy.

SSSSSSSCOOOOOOOORRRRRRE !!!

seriously, right?! - I think the shop owner was away and the kids just stuck a price on it :wink:

Fascinating…

So damn similar.  What goes around comes around.  Nice find!

It sure is a nice score and, of course, a BT shape of 1969 is something I’d like to own, too. Now, if I may dare to say it, I’ve seen much better pin-line jobs. The one on the left rail is bumpy and goes almost straight towards the tail instead of following the outline curve; Too bad.

You could probably get $850-1000 for it on ebay, tomorrow. :wink:

hmmm. pinnys looks stright and tight from here - must be the snap angle.

yikes, good to know Sammy - thanks.

Bought it to ride tho - that shape + that fin = MOtE, dreamy stuff ;)

Could very well be the angle, you’re right. Difficult to say from photos.