HANSEN 50-50 model reference-FIN PLACEMENT??

Hey guys,

A friend saw one of my pigs and asked to make him a 50-50 reference log. I have my own ideas of rocker, rails, bottom contours. I made a few templates of my own and Lowel helped me locate one as well. Ive got my template finalized now. I had a glass on fin made of the Tyler 777 pivot fin outline which is very close to the original Hansen 50-50 pivot fin. 

The final mystery in this project is where do I glass this fin on?..Alot of opinions say with the tip aligned with the tail block. Someone else said 3.75" from tail, etc. I’d like the board to not be super stiff like an old school log and if I can use fin placement to make it easier to turn then i do want to do that. The board is 9’8"x19Nx24Cx17.25T

I set up the fin @3.75" from tail on my paper template and it looks a bit far forward, no? Here are some images. 

I am looking for some educated/experienced opinions on where to glass this fin on. Or-if anyone has a Tyler 777 with glass on, where is it? Going for loggy yet loose, not too stiff. 

Thanks in advance for the help guys! 

Feel free to check out some of my boards @our_daily_shred on instagram or DAILY-SHRED.COM

Best

Nick Maimone

Looks like too much fin, too far forward.

I agree with Bill.

While the first year’s run of 50-50s may have had that glassed on pivot fin, subsequent versions had the proprietary Hansen removable fin system and there was no single fin type used. You could get a few different choices on the fin style/template. I would go with an FU box and allow for some options. Just my preference.

I will most definitely agree with Sammy. Most of my boards have glassed on fins however I have a 777 that has a box and I’m glad it does. The back of the box is 3 1/2" from the tail. Two different fins and it becomes two different boards.

Is a very beautyfull model.
How is design the bottom of the of this 777 ?