Hansen 50/50 Questions

Found a 9’0 Hansen 50/50 shaped by Bill Shrosbree. I am interested in buying it and it is supposedly brand new. What do you think is a fair price? Thank you all!

It seems it must be a pretty recent board as most of the ones I have seen have a glassed on fin

The 50/50 has been around, in one form or another, since roughly 1965. Beginning in 1966 Hansen had their own removable fin system with a bolt-through-deck design. That was used into the transition era, and there was a transitional 50/50 model that had little resemblance to the original. The mid 60s 50/50 shape was a common rental board seen at Hansen dealer’s shops.
The board in your pic looks quite new, and would be worth the same as most any other current 9’ board in like condition.
If you went to Hansen’s websote, you would find that a brand new 9’0" 50/50 sells for $950.

Also it’s a red one. And as science has proven, red boards go faster.

Is the fact that it was shaped by Shrosbree rare?

No

Bill has been around for along long time. He has been in the Industry since the early 60s Worked for Noll, G&S Stewart, Hanson,Sunset, and others has his Own label Fresh Pinapple Surfboards . I’m pretty sure he is retired now. Haven’t talked to Him in years. He really isn’t one of the innovative Shaper builders. I like Bill haven known him since the the mid 1970s. One of his really nice stand out Boards is the Butch Van Artsdale reproduction he did of the Board Butch rode at Wind n Sea before moving to Hawaii. Shrosbree were Friends. That 50/50 Is not a rare board. I think that Craig Hollingsworth is now doing Hanson Boards. Still has the rights to Shape lightening Bolt Boards then again Lots of Shapers from around the world have been licanced to Shape Bolts.

I’m the creator of the ‘‘now famous’’ lightning bolt graphic, when I did the first 18 boards for them, @ Surf Systems in early 1971. It is my original artwork, and was applied to boards made with my templates, that were supplied to them. Those early boards, were the foundation that their brand was built on.

Bill here is a question for you. Lopez was surfing for Hansen with his own model. As I recall a diamobe tail. The templates you supplied were they based off of the Hanson Jerry Lopez modle?

Thanks everyone. I was thinking if its a rare or a special board/shape maybe I would add it to my quiver. It sounds like its nothing special

Here’s a pic of the Lopez “Bolt” from a Hansen ad. Looks like a roundtail to me. It may be one of the hollow “Stratoglas” boards.

Aloha Artz,
The templates used for the Lightning Bolt boards, that I made for them on contract in 1971, were hand drawn by me in 1969, when I launched Surf Systems. There was absolutely no influence from either Hansen, or Lopez, on those board designs. If anything, Mr. Lopez was influenced by the boards that I sent over to them. They ordered boards, six at a time, and specified length and width, and either square, diamond, or pin tails. The bulk of the boards were diamond tails, as that was really in vogue then.

Thanks for the reply Bill. I didn’t know if you were still working with Hanson at the time Lopez was surfing for them. Do you have any idea of who in Hawaii was shaping off of those lightening bolt Template you made?

The Lopez modle by modle I was referring to was before Lightening Bolt. It was simply "The Jerry Lopez model. " by Hansen. I have nay seen one a few years back.

Artz,
No, I don’t know any names, but whoever was shaping for them in 1971, most surely pulled a template off of various of the boards. It would only make sense, to build on the successful designs.