Harbour Hp-1 fin?

Anyone have experence with the Harbour Hp-1 fin?

I’ve never riden a flex fin before. Fin experence 9" Wingnut Cutaway and a 9" Proteck hard fin.

I have the HP on my egg (spherical revolver) and dig it! I also have the smaller 7.5" Harbour hp fin that I use when I have the side fins in on the revolver or my 9’0" longboard and like it as well. I haven’t heard any negative comments about the HP at all so my guess is you’ll like it too. (every board is different and this one was specifically designed for Harbour tail widths and rocker but…)

Quote:

I have the HP on my egg (spherical revolver) and dig it! I also have the smaller 7.5" Harbour hp fin that I use when I have the side fins in on the revolver or my 9’0" longboard and like it as well. I haven’t heard any negative comments about the HP at all so my guess is you’ll like it too. (every board is different and this one was specifically designed for Harbour tail widths and rocker but…)

Ok, but you ride a 7.5 on your longboard? Is that your standard fin on your LB?

I’m looking at a HP 9.5 for a 9’6" classic triple stringer. I wouldn’t say it’s a Harbour shape, actualy the shape is quite ugly, but has the combo of nice tail rocker, 18 1/2" nose, 14 1/2" tail and something near a 23" wide point w/ fat egg rails. I think it would work well. Guys at Harbour seam to agree.

But, any of you tell me the differences in feel and turning on a Hp or any other type of Flex Fin compaired to a standard hard fin?

I guess my post was confusing. I use the 7.5" when I have the side fins in, and the 9" fin when I am surfing the board(s) as single fins.

You can feel some extra drive coming out of bottom turns and I attribute to the way the fin snaps back. But I’m no fin designer or anything. But I bet if you buy it and for some reason don’t like it, you could sell it easily to someone via the harbour website forum so it’s not a big risk.

I used the HP and Proteck fins. I wouldn’t call them flex fins. A better description would be: fins that bend. Didn’t care for either of them. I think the materials are all wrong. The Proteck’s are great for safety but they’re made of molded plastic. The Harbour fin has a soft, saggy bend. Rich Harbour describes it as the fin wagging. I used the HP on a 6’6" singlefin stubby. As previously mentioned, that fin was designed specifically for the Harbour HP model so I can’t really complain if it didn’t work on my shorty. It may work for you? Give it a try.

Most of the Harbour boards using the HP fin have hard rails in the tail. The snap coming off a bottom turn is great. I use one on my Harbour Banana. I recall at the Harbour forum that Rich says the HP fin may not have enough hold for soft rails in the tail. If you look at the boards in his classic line they all have more pivot-like fins.

thank you