Headin' south

Sorry for the off topic…but this seems like the crew to ask. I’m making last minute plans to drive from SF to LA this weekend to visit an old friend. I’d like to leave Friday evening and take the slow route down the coast. I’m thinking of camping out somewhere Friday PM and was wondering if anybody has any places they’d recommend in the Big Sur area (or perhaps further south). I don’t care if it’s an “established” campground – just somewhere I can roll in late and still get a spot. Any ideas would be very welcome. Thanks, Mike http://www.swaylocks.com/faqs/serve/cache/1.html

Mike, this time of year is pretty crowded and I think most places are first come first served, so any place with a vacancy is a score. Plasket Creek is a favorite of mine. Good luck and drive carefully. Scott

Sorry for the off topic…but this seems like the crew to ask.>>> I’m making last minute plans to drive from SF to LA this weekend to visit > an old friend. I’d like to leave Friday evening and take the slow route > down the coast. I’m thinking of camping out somewhere Friday PM and was > wondering if anybody has any places they’d recommend in the Big Sur area > (or perhaps further south). I don’t care if it’s an > “established” campground – just somewhere I can roll in late > and still get a spot.>>> Any ideas would be very welcome. Thanks, Mike San Simione (SP?) campground is right of the highway between the Castle and town (I think) and a nice place. There’s also a little reef break nearby. But Scott is right, may be tough to find a spot this time of year.

San Simione (SP?) campground is right of the highway between the Castle > and town (I think) and a nice place. There’s also a little reef break > nearby. But Scott is right, may be tough to find a spot this time of year. Sand Dollar if there is a spot, or san simeon campground, both are right off hwy. 1 and across from surf spots.If you are feeling REAL adventerous, you can see if the crew at Willow will let you camp out!(in all seriousness, I wouldn’t even deal with Willow creek.)Also, in Morro Bay turn off at the high school,head toward the beach and as the road snakes around there is a trailerpark/campground spot that may not be full,and again the pit and rock are right there to surf.Good luck and have a safe trip!

There’s a road near Sand Dollar that goes into the hills…There are lots of places to pull over & spend a night (at least we found it that way 15 years ago)…Spectacular views!!!..

There’s a road near Sand Dollar that goes into the hills…There are lots > of places to pull over & spend a night (at least we found it that way > 15 years ago)…Spectacular views!!!.. that’s the Nacimiento Fergusson rd. - good turn out spots to put it down. Very high fire danger - tread lightly.

Sorry for the off topic…but this seems like the crew to ask.>>> I’m making last minute plans to drive from SF to LA this weekend to visit > an old friend. I’d like to leave Friday evening and take the slow route > down the coast. I’m thinking of camping out somewhere Friday PM and was > wondering if anybody has any places they’d recommend in the Big Sur area > (or perhaps further south). I don’t care if it’s an > “established” campground – just somewhere I can roll in late > and still get a spot.>>> Any ideas would be very welcome. Thanks, Mike I do it all the time. Try the SB area. Hit Rufugio or the large campground just down the freeway at El Capitan Canyon accross from El Capitan. They have a lot of space and it’s just accross the freeway from El Cap and Rufugio. If there’s no surf in the am then you’re on your way to Ventura for a few waves and then you can make it to LA from there in no time. Lucky dog! http://www.sbparks.com/DOCS/locate.html http://www.elcapitancanyon.com/

Sorry for the off topic…but this seems like the crew to ask.>>> I’m making last minute plans to drive from SF to LA this weekend to visit > an old friend. I’d like to leave Friday evening and take the slow route > down the coast. I’m thinking of camping out somewhere Friday PM and was > wondering if anybody has any places they’d recommend in the Big Sur area > (or perhaps further south). I don’t care if it’s an > “established” campground – just somewhere I can roll in late > and still get a spot.>>> Any ideas would be very welcome. Thanks, Mike I Plaskett is painless. If you don’t want to pay (campground hosts are jackasses) take the 1st dirt road south of the campground and take it to the top and camp (Los Padres National Forest). It is above the fog line and is 20f warmer and what a view. Another good “free” spot is San Carp. Cross the Carp. bridge and look for a hand painted sign with a rabbit in the forest. Take the trail back under the trees…Go surf carp or 15min south to the Lighthouse… I may be going up on Saturday?

Sorry for the off topic…but this seems like the crew to ask.>>> I’m making last minute plans to drive from SF to LA this weekend to visit > an old friend. I’d like to leave Friday evening and take the slow route > down the coast. I’m thinking of camping out somewhere Friday PM and was > wondering if anybody has any places they’d recommend in the Big Sur area > (or perhaps further south). I don’t care if it’s an > “established” campground – just somewhere I can roll in late > and still get a spot.>>> Any ideas would be very welcome. Thanks, Mike Yo, Mike! Come on down to HB for a dawn patrol on Sunday. I understand we are due for a swell on Sunday. The crew at the 20th st. steps two blocks south of Goldenwest are a solid bunch. I’ll be riding a new, clear (no logo) fish that I am getting a feel for. If ya show up the least I can do is buy you breakfast for putting this ‘thing of ours’ up! Hey R.I., I guess it could be called a “Cosa Nostra”? Have a safe trip Mike. Magoo

Yo, Mike!>>> Come on down to HB for a dawn patrol on Sunday. I understand we are due > for a swell on Sunday. The crew at the 20th st. steps two blocks south of > Goldenwest are a solid bunch. I’ll be riding a new, clear (no logo) fish > that I am getting a feel for. If ya show up the least I can do is buy you > breakfast for putting this ‘thing of ours’ up! Hey R.I., I guess it could > be called a “Cosa Nostra”?>>> Have a safe trip Mike.>>> Magoo Hey Magoo, According to most law officials, it’s pretty much non-existing anymore. Yea Right !!! Hang in their Buddy, Aloha

you can also camp along the beach in morrow bay, on the north side of the rock. cool surroundings, decent surf, and when i was there (labor day weekend 2 years ago) TONS of animal life. dolphins jumping and flipping everywhere, riding waves, etc. whales showing off their flukes and spouting off maybe 200 yds offshore, it was amazing. its a state park or something, very cheap and shouldn’t be crowded.