Help! Anything I can do about a pigment/resin spill?

Hello Everyone,

I’m new to the forum, but have been visiting for quite a while soaking up all the helpful shaping tips and design ideas! I’m currently working on a Mini Simmons and decided to try a two-tone pigment in the lamination which was going well until I had a little spill…

I was messing around with the line where both colors meet trying to get it perfect and I absentmindedly held my dripping squeegee of red epoxy/pigment over the white side of the board. The lamination was still wet on both sides so it soaked right in!

I thought about just mixing up a little more red pigment/epoxy and extending the whole line further toward the tail. Does anyone see a problem arising with this strategy?

Would it be easier to mix a really heavy batch of white and try to cover up the spots? I’m a little wary of doing this because I can see the stringer through the white, so it is a bit translucent.

Your help and experience is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Charlie

Any attempt to cover it with white will likely still leave you disappointed. My suggestion would be to perhaps put a logo there or a broad acrylic black band to separate the red from the white.

Now when the paint jar tipped
Off of the table
You watched as it started to fall
Glass popped, shattered and splattered
And paint spray hit the wall

Bright, blue glossy enamel
Across the kitchen floor
You said, “Good God, look at that pattern
I’ve never seen that before”

Chorus
Leave it like it is
Never mind the turpentine
Leave it like it is
Its fine

Now when the paint dried
You gave it a title
You called it “Kitchen Blue”
A white frame painted around it
And gallery lighting too

Rich folks come over to dinner
They all want one of their own
They say “How much? Who’s the artist”
And, “My what a beautiful home”

Chorus

Now most folks suffer in sorrow
Thinking they’re just no good
They don’t match the magazine model
As close as they think they should

They live just like the “paint by numbers”
The teacher would be impressed
A life-time of follow the lines
So it’s just like all of the rest

Chorus

© David Wilcox, all rights reserved

Embrace it. “I meant to do that” It’s the imperfections that are interesting.

Take a sharpie and draw some embellishments around those drops. Maybe add a few more. Maybe add some opaque white drops into the red to mirror the effect.

My .02 - turn it in to a ‘belt’ pattern. Imagine a pinline above & below the red spots - a ‘belt line’ if you will. Start filling in with other random spots of various colors within the belt line. After fill coat, sand, add your pinlines on either edge of the belt line and pretend like you meant to do it all along.

this…

I haven’t heard that song in YEARS!
Thanks for that memory

You are welcome Chris.

CDR-that’s a neat little board. If you have a minute, tell us more about it.

Drip more blood, make them look like supre novas exploding! or a crime scene. Just don’t go over board… or add some orange and yellow spots in it on both side of the bands to make it look more like a blend murder scene.

You have it in your head that those drops shouldn’t be there. Imperfections in these Hipster style resin pours are usually embraced, but if your not a hipster and you want something clean then just put a 4" resin band dividing the two colors.

It’s not a bug.
It’s a feature.

Add more red blops in a line in different sizes and shapes. Own it. It will look cool.

Thanks jrandy, happy to share! I’m pretty new to shaping so I’m still learning and making mistakes, but I wanted to try a mini simmons to have something small and fast to add to my quiver. Most of the boards I surf regularly are above 6 feet.

I used a pretty typical mini simmons outline and foiled it based on my best impression of a Joe Bauguess shape. It is 5’6" x 22.5" x 2 7/8" thick. Just a little bit of roll in the nose followed by a fairly deep concave under the feet and leading into twin channels with some V through the tail. The rails are pretty low and narrow with a hard edge through the last 14" or so.

My vision is that the channels along with the knifey rail and higher aspect keel fin template will help the board hold in steeper/juicier surf, without taking too much away from the speedy, loose feel that makes these boards popular. I have no idea if it will pan out as hoped, but that’s how we learn right!?

In hindsight, a flat bottom or single concave would have been much easier. I had a heck of a time glassing the channels and they didn’t come out quite as nice as I had hoped.

Here’s a photo with fins tacked on and the red pigment extended to cover the blemishes I made! Just some finish work and ready for hotcoat. It’s not perfect but it’ll look fine covered in wax!

If anyone has any thoughts or feedback I would love to hear!

Charlie