Help identify vintage Hansen

Grabbed my first vintage board this weekend. Not quite sure what model it is though. Any ideas?

Aloha Rob,

Before I tell you about your board, I’d like to know where you came across the board.       I shaped for Hansen, for close to five years.       I know who shaped it, when it was shaped, and who it was shaped for.      All of that is encoded in the board number.        You’ll like what I can tell you.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your response, I’m excited to hear the history. I got this at an estate sale in Rhode Island, the owner was not there and I do not know who they were. Definitely looks like this had been sitting for many years though. There was a 50/50 of the same era there too, looked like it had a custom or modified fin. I had intended on taking both but the competition got the other one!

Aloha Rob,

Your board, based on the serial number, was shaped in 1966.       It was shaped by Fred (Buzzy) Smole.      It is a custom shape, not a particular model.      Closest model might be what was called a ‘‘Master.’’      The board was an ‘‘own personal’’ that Buzzy made for himself.       On the stringer is an   S , with a dot on either side of it.      This was a designator that Buzzy ONLY put on his personal boards.     Otherwise, his designator was a dot on either side of the board number.       Your board was glassed by Richard Templin (best glasser) and glossed by Gary Brummett (best glosser)   at that time.     Richard later moved up into shaping.       How that board ended up in RI, is probably an interesting story.      That board is ‘‘State of the Art’’ for that time period.       Normal glassing schedule, at that time, was double 10 oz, top and bottom.       Probably Volan.      Buzzy was an excellent shaper.      You scored a real WINNER !

Bill,

Wow, I would need to see this thing made in person to get better details. Thank you for sharing. I bought this to ride but I may limit that to special occasions (no way I’m not riding it at all). I need to say I really wanted that 50/50 but am happy the other guy (a “collector” looking for a flip) didn’t want the “red” one. 

I spent the afternoon cleaning it up. Any tips on polishing? Not looking to sand it down or anything but she has definitely seen a few trips to the sand or rocks.

Thank you again, I was happy to score this board but the story has really topped it off!

Rob, the board you have acquired, is way more collectable, IMO, than a stock 50/50 which were produced in the thousands.    There may only be a dozen or so personal boards made by Buzzy.     Mr. collector is not as smart as he thinks he is.