Help me w/Epoxy tint cutlap issue

Please.

I’m building a board with yellow tint (epoxy). Everything is looking great. I had to do a reverse lam because of the art work on the deck. But the bottom cutlap turned out great. I flipped it and lam’ed the bottom and did a cutlap on the deck. The board is wide and the cloth didn’t wrap as far up on the deck as I would have liked, but that’s OK. The deck art is tempra taped off and painted with a brush on the EPS. The camera doesn’t show it well but the yellow dect tint came out nice.

The problem is …I didn’t plan ahead. I really need a pinline to hide the slightly wavey cutlap on the deck but doing one will cut across some of the artwork. The tint is a very light yellow.

I think my options are to just do the pinline and get over it, or possibly lightly sand and blend the deck cut line into the deck, or what???

For those listening at home, what I should have done, had I been planning ahead (as engineers are supposed to do) is to just do an inlay on the bottom after the doing the deck lam. I would have just needed a pinline on the bottom to hide that single cut line.

Oh well. Next one will be better.

Ideas anyone? Thanks.

I would just do the pinline. I don’t think it will take too much away from the artwork. Might even look cool. Fillcoat, sand to 220, pinline with a posca or sharpie paint pen, gloss coat, sand and done.

Hey Greg,

Pinline it! Maybe a green pin to match the artwork?

I use ResinX to pinline now. Just started a separate post on that to not intrude on this one.

~Brian

www.greenlightsurfsupply.com

Quote:

I would just do the pinline. I don’t think it will take too much away from the artwork. Might even look cool. Fillcoat, sand to 220, pinline with a posca or sharpie paint pen, gloss coat, sand and done.

Another alternative, pinline it, but tape it off at the artwork so that it’s not a continous pinline. Better still, do pinlines around your artwork and on the cutlap. Why not??? Have fun with it, either way, it’ll come out great!

do two parallel pinlines, one green and one yellow. Or do yellow pinline over the yellow part and green pinline over the green part.

Yep… double pinline… one thick (green?) on the outside, one thin (blue!) on the inside.

We have a winner. YES! I LIKE IT!!!

Two pin lines! Two colors! Too cool.

Keith, NJ, that really is clever. thx

Not an original idea, but glad you found something you like…Now, go read every post by Cleanlines in the archives, and you’ll find out the right way to do it!!