help with year and fin size?

Hello everyone, was hoping to get some info and advice on this board I recently got on C.L. Its a 7’6" O’Neill shaped by Chuck Vinson. Would like to know a little history on this board. Mr Vinson passed away last year and found very little info on him and his boards. I mainly would like to know the year and some general knowledge on the shape. I fixed some pretty significant dings and took her out yesterday. I bought it finless and put one that I thought might work but I felt tons of drag and could never really dial it in. My bottom turn felt fine but staying in the pocket really felt sluggish. What fin would you use on this board?

Awe man funny, I almost bought that one…wasn’t it like $35 = score!!! Cool history right there

Maybe try a flex fin

Howzit Tom! yeah, dirt cheap. Any idea what year?

Chuck was there 1977 to 1987 …from the logos 70’s (figure #18 on link)

http://stokednboard.surfingheritage.org/pdf/Oneill_SCruz.pdf

Thanks Tom! Now for the second part of my question: Should I try a smaller fin or 4a 9" Greenough? What fin would have been used then?

An Andrenni Flex by Rainbow or a Greenough. I’m thinking they make the Andrenni in a 7 1/2". That would be a good compromise without dropping a full inch.

Thank you guys. Will look into getting a 7 1/2 flex fin. This is the first time where I felt like the fin size will make a huge difference. Every wave felt sluggish

Could also be the bottom shape. If there’s a lot of roll or convex shape it would feel slower for someone used to riding flat or concave bottoms. The rails also look soft, so that will make a difference too.

yeah you’ve hit it pretty much on the spot. I ride a range of boards, and of course nothing compares in speed to my liddle but this is the first time that I felt a board with this much drag. Its not like I am digging my rails deep when I make my bottom turn in fact after my first two waves I started turning high on the lip and felt some speed but slowed down pretty fast. I pumped it a few times and nothing, maybe learning to do a faster cut back might help but i really can feel the slowness. I took her out at OB on Noriega in SF. It’s not like the waves lack any power here. Suggestions are always welcomed. thanks again fellas.