Hemp Cloth SOURCES

SO I here about it.  Was wondering if any of you had a source for yardage.  I don’t want a roll.

Hear!!!

ColanAustralia says they have build quality hemp.  Good looking stuff.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmiXoLanJCv/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1ayet8ros714q

all the best

https://www.hemptraders.com/

Located in Paramount, CA

This is the stuff I’ve used.  

http://www.hemptraders.com/product-p/ct-l5.htm

That’s a good start.  I went over to the Hemp Traders site.  A question would be does it wet out clear?

Thank you Senor Tate.  I might be able to get that from Florian @ Shapers Supply.  He has all there other stuff.   Lowel. correction the Carbon/Kevlar tapes etc at Shapers Supply are not a Colon product.  Sourced elsewhere.   And no Hemp.

Never used it, but here is a great example.  He posts here from time to time.  Excellent work.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfjykJoD9U3/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1jfifpaokbd0r

all the best

The fabric I used wets out much darker than it’s “dry” color.  

I don’t think any of it wets out clear, it’s brown fabric??? 

Or do you not mean color wise?? 

Somebody better tell “Solid Surfboards” that Hemp Cloth doesn’t wet out clear.  They are supposedly making the greenest boards around these days.  Recycled Stringerless EPS, Basalt strips, Entrophy Super Sap and Hemp Cloth.

Maybe I’m missing it, but I’m not seeing what you’re seeing.    I looked at their website and what I saw was a graphic that clearly shows an arrow pointing to a 2" wide hemp patch over the stringer with the caption “hemp reinforcement”.   That patch looks exactly like the fabric I’ve used.  I don’t see any mention of them using hemp as a replacement for fiberglass in the primary lamination.   

The stringer cover is basalt, their tail patch is hemp - and not clear. 

I wasn’t trying to make a stupid comment, I haven’t seen clear hemp cloth so I thought you may have meant “clear” as in easy and clean and doesn’t harbor bubbles or leave behind hairs like burlap

daddy—-  Who’s website?  With regard to solid I am not making a comment about their website.  I am referring to misinformation that Surf Shop owners are being given.  A local shop owner showed me the newest thing;  an all Eco board by Solid.  Recycled EPS, Basalt Tape at center and Hemp Cloth that was as clear as any BGF or JPS…  That’s the impression some shop people are under.  That Hemp is Clear.  Funny thing is that although Hemp Cloth is at least four times the price of 4 oz Fiberglass cloth these boards are cheap at wholesale to shops.  In other words an Eco Solid is as Cheap as a Thai Chili Pepper.  Knowing that Hemp is not clear and four times the price of standard cloth it”s not likely I will pursue this.  I knew it was more $$ but that’s a wee bit much.  Also the strength factor is debatable.  And let’s face it; the process involved in making these products is not exactly “Organic”.   It is news to me that there is not a Hemp that wets out Clear.  Thought they probably had that process worked out.

Ding - check the solid surf website. 

They only claim to use hemp on the deck of the tail (about the size of a stomp pad). 

I think there might be miscommunication up there (or maybe shop owners who didn’t quite understand what they were hearing). They just heard “it’s glassed with hemp”… 

all the hemp I’ve seen is either brown or milky white. 

I think it’s hard to market a different cloth on a surfboard that doesn’t have some visual aspect to it. No boards on the rack upsell s cloth but carbon strips are flying off the shelf. I think hemp would need to be a visual add on. 

TBH, I used the hemp as an alternative to the wood veneers I was doing for the hippie designs I have been doing.  It seems to work about as well, the weight is comparable and the boards don’t look like they came straight from China.     

And $15/yd is a lot except that these are 57" wide and I’m only doing inserts with them, not full rail wraps.  So it’s really more like $7/yd, which is cheaper than a veneer.  Or cork.  

The point is, I wouldn’t use it for a performance shape where weight is a factor for the same reasons I wouldn’t do a veneer for those boards.