Here's a dumb invention for you

I thought this up one day when thinking about the latest thing: Tow-in surfing. What about a device that is glassed into a big wave gun? This device would wind up with a crank, and when you paddle for a wave, you push a button, releasing the spring (or whatever you wind up) and it forces water through a valve of some sorts, and propells the water back and down through the bottom of the board, giving you an extra thrust to get into the wave early. I wonder if it’s possible. Or maybe it’s electrically charged so that you can get, say, ten 5 second thrusts out of it. I wonder if it’s possible. What do you think?

Were you perchance in the bathtub when you thought this up? Maybe with a little wind-up plastic duckie or dolphin? hmmmm… I can picture of a lot more hilarious “Wile-E Cayote” (Roadrunner) type endings for this “ACME NUCLEAR DYNO-SPRING-POWERED SURFBOARD” than I can picture success: 1)Skewered through one’s wetsuit nose down into the reef…2)skewered through one’s body orifice …3) left hanging just on the lip of a Mavs macker when the damn thing goes off… It would have to have a safety switch!

Were you perchance in the bathtub when you thought this up? Maybe with a little wind-up plastic duckie or dolphin? hmmmm… I can picture of a lot more hilarious “Wile-E Cayote” (Roadrunner) type endings for this “ACME NUCLEAR DYNO-SPRING-POWERED SURFBOARD” than I can picture success: 1)Skewered through one’s wetsuit nose down into the reef…2)skewered through one’s body orifice …3) left hanging just on the lip of a Mavs macker when the damn thing goes off… It would have to have a safety switch!

There used to be an old gentleman, at least 60, who rode Steamer Lane with a motor-assisted longboard. It was long, like 11 or 12 feet, and thick. I saw him around '75-'76. I didn’t get the details of his machine’s construction, but it was a battery-powered motor with a handle set into the deck, and when he rotated it back towards himself the motor kicked in. I usually saw him using it during the long paddle back out, and sometimes he used it to catch waves. Powered or not, he always caught his waves way far outside, as far as possible, and stood tall on the tail like a proud skipper. Probably some SC lokes remember that guy.

There used to be an old gentleman, at least 60, who rode Steamer Lane with a motor-assisted longboard. It was long, like 11 or 12 feet, and thick. I saw him around '75-'76. I didn’t get the details of his machine’s construction, but it was a battery-powered motor with a handle set into the deck, and when he rotated it back towards himself the motor kicked in. I usually saw him using it during the long paddle back out, and sometimes he used it to catch waves. Powered or not, he always caught his waves way far outside, as far as possible, and stood tall on the tail like a proud skipper. Probably some SC lokes remember that guy.

The guy surfed with a buddy his age… The were from Palo Alto or near there…He drove a big Black Cadilllac…He DID get waves, and would flip the switch for the paddle back from Indicator…

The guy surfed with a buddy his age… The were from Palo Alto or near there…He drove a big Black Cadilllac…He DID get waves, and would flip the switch for the paddle back from Indicator…

But how could it hold enough power to actually paddle all the way back out? And did he use it to catch waves? Was it electric or gas?

But how could it hold enough power to actually paddle all the way back out? And did he use it to catch waves? Was it electric or gas?

the old guy with the motor pasted away a few years ago but his buddy was still alive last year- getting pushed into waves at cowell’s by a middle aged fella who he taught to surf in '64. the old guy had had a stroke and seemed a bit bewildered.He ran into me hard and put a big fin gash in my Nuuhiwa Lightweight- i pulled the boards apart, got him on his board, smiled and paddled away. i hope I’m still out there in my 80’s. I feel bad that I can’t conjure up the old guy’s names. the guy with the motor invented all sorts of surf stuff.

the old guy with the motor pasted away a few years ago but his buddy was still alive last year- getting pushed into waves at cowell’s by a middle aged fella who he taught to surf in '64. the old guy had had a stroke and seemed a bit bewildered.He ran into me hard and put a big fin gash in my Nuuhiwa Lightweight- i pulled the boards apart, got him on his board, smiled and paddled away. i hope I’m still out there in my 80’s. I feel bad that I can’t conjure up the old guy’s names. the guy with the motor invented all sorts of surf stuff.

I remember those guys…Didn’t one of them ride a 9’+ aquajet honeycomb and hang with Dr. Scott of ear plug fame? They used to be covered tip to toe in rubber when no one wore hats or booties.

I remember those guys…Didn’t one of them ride a 9’+ aquajet honeycomb and hang with Dr. Scott of ear plug fame? They used to be covered tip to toe in rubber when no one wore hats or booties.

I think it could be done. Have you seen this small boat races where they go from a ramp and only go a short distance on a lake to a pole with a bell? They’re only allowed to man power and/or springs. I know that some used a small gas tank letting the gas go through a valve under water propelling the boat for the short distance. The same could be used in a surfboard as well. I’m not sure I want/need one though. regards, Håvard

I think it could be done. Have you seen this small boat races where they go from a ramp and only go a short distance on a lake to a pole with a bell? They’re only allowed to man power and/or springs. I know that some used a small gas tank letting the gas go through a valve under water propelling the boat for the short distance. The same could be used in a surfboard as well. I’m not sure I want/need one though. regards, Håvard

yup, thats them.Doc Scott is still kicking,a shoulder went bad on him in the late spring so he’s rehabbing but till then he was still cruising on his 12’.

yup, thats them.Doc Scott is still kicking,a shoulder went bad on him in the late spring so he’s rehabbing but till then he was still cruising on his 12’.

Hey people are still trying to make these things. Rob Olliges http://www.motorsurf.com/tech-talk.htm

Hey people are still trying to make these things. Rob Olliges http://www.motorsurf.com/tech-talk.htm

Heres a website with pictures of the old boards you guys are talking about. Even a pdf or the engine manual. Lots of different variations and some future concepts. Waves, however, don’t seem much involved. Rob Olliges http://powerboarding.com/classicjetboards.htm