Hey fins, fin panel layup video for you

Duhhhhhhhhh, the original page disapeared during the attachment ?

Looks like there is a glitch in the 'Matrix, and now we cannot see what Jim wanted us to see...

Here is my lay up table with a single custom color one off.

I was trying multiple attachments the other day, one only tonight

This thread began with a video which is no longer online. If anyone knows if it’s on youtube I would be grateful for a link. I have bubbletrubble too. I haven’t got a roller (well not a fibreglass roller, i have a plastic wall papering roller which may work until I get one).

I noticed these types on ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fibreglass-GRP-Paddle-Roller-140mm-x-20mm/320464272516?epid=624945325&hash=item4a9d28bc84:g:1OsAAMXQ1PNRZadv

They all seem to be ridged rather than smooth roller. Is that the correct type for doing fin panels or should I keep looking for a smooth surface roller?

Hard to see in the old pictures but I want to say they are finned like these: https://www.expresscomposites.com/laminating-rollers

You can make a roller by using two different sizes of washers, stacked on an axel.       Big, small, big, small, etc.     Use Aluminum flat stock, to make a handle.     Easy, peasey.

Thanks Bill, so the SHOULD be grooved like that then? I wonder why, that looks like it wouldn’t force air out which is what I thought the purpose was.

Yes thay are, thanks JR (always was a poet. :D)

I have just done my second attempt at a fin panel. Not good, and annoying the shit out of me as i need to glass some fins on asap and not even made any yet! I dont have a roller, that wallpapering one seemed ok until I left it in acetone, now its porridge! I will get one, great idea from Bill but I will order one, not expensive and I have enough fiddling to do with fin panels at the mo. I am wondering if there are people/shops which sell ready made fibreglass panels. Surely there must be, and I would gladly buy a panel if it came bubble free. I want to make them, and in time I am sure I will, but I need a decent finish on this current board and don’t have the time to spend practicing until perfect before delivering the board, not with my current shallow learning curve anyway!

I will attach my second panel. The first I tried to do 5 or 10 layers all at once. Silly idea. Binned.

Second panel I laid 20 pieces of 6oz and did it one sheet at a time, using fingers and squeegee to squeeze out bubbles from centre towards edges, It looked bubble free, until it dried. I would be grateful for any ideas on how to improve. Maybe a roller will help, do you push quite hard? If you do that it seems like you will force all the resin out, or maybe that’s exactly what should be done. Bit stumped here.

One other question. I have seen lovely CLEAR (no green hue) fins on shop boards and always loved that look. I hoped I might get that with this Iso poly resin but its green. It’s not a problem for this board (green board) but in future I would like to make clear clear, like glass, if at all possible.

Sorry, I just noticed there are two types of finned rollers. vertical and horizontal fins. Yours has vertical buut the ones I am looking at are horizontal. Will that render these useless for our purposes do you think? i.e. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fibreglass-GRP-Paddle-Roller-50mm-100mm-140mm-225mm/231274605834?var=530505339796&hash=item35d90a6d0a:m:mhAkwzJ6kphm17QFNynxMHw