Hilton Head in June

The job is sending me to the Atlantic coast for a conference. What are the prospects for surf at Hilton Head Island like in the 2nd week of June? What sort of breaks am I looking at. I would like to use this as an excuse for building my next board.

Thanks for any info,

Matt

bring a longboard

General rule of thumb is that summer on the right coast sucks. Actually, even this winter sucked, so unless you plan on staying through hurricane season, definitely bring a longboard. All the breaks you will find in SC will be beachbreaks. Be prepared for no surf at all most of the time. If your job does keep you there through the fall make sure to pack a semi-gun too.

can you say ffffffffffllllllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!

Summer on the left coast sucks too, at least in my neck of the woods- LA County. This winter has made up for all that. It has been sooo good and sooo consistent. Any Angeleno will concur. I think we’re getting spoiled.

Quote:
The job is sending me to the Atlantic coast for a conference. What are the prospects for surf at Hilton Head Island like in the 2nd week of June? What sort of breaks am I looking at. I would like to use this as an excuse for building my next board.

If a storm front blows through, you may get surf right after the wind changes direction from S/SW to NW. Maybe, up to shoulder high for a few hours. The rest of the time flat.

All beach breaks. Not really a destination you would choose for surf, but it can be surfed, even in June.

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like I’ll watch the forcast to decide whether to shlep my longboard or not. I was hoping for a respite from the left coast summer doldroms.

Matt

Quote:

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like I’ll watch the forcast to decide whether to shlep my longboard or not. I was hoping for a respite from the left coast summer doldroms.

Matt

The right coast summer doldrums, especially in S.Carolina, will cause you to rethink your definition of the word “flat.” Not to mention, “weak” “gutless” and “crap”. Lots of good fishing, though.