hip replacement surgery - will I surf again??

Given the above, I can guarentee that he studied under Dr. Harlan Amstutz.   (the guy that did my hip)     Ask your guy about him.

Hey Bill I will ask him!  Thats a cool connection if its the case, which sounds like it must be.

Not sure if anything might have led to it other than genetics and an active life, my motto has always been better to wear out than rust away, and years of building with lumber, concrete, brick, stucco, drywall, etc., usually by myself, has probably contributed.  I’ve also been an avid walker all my life, always shunned the elevator when stairs were available, and enjoyed long walks, hikes, etc.  (Point Dume comes to mind)

I quit skateboarding years ago because a few injuries sidelined me from good surf, and like you, I placed greater value on my surfing time.  Now that I know the problem with my hip, I can see why it didn’t like me skateboarding either!

Thankfully bike riding has had the opposite effect.  Where walking hurts and makes me feel sore afterwards, riding feels a little uncomfortable at first, but always feels good when I’m done, it seems to stretch things a little in a good way.  I only picked up bike riding again when walking became an issue, and I’ve been loving it.  BTW, I can still walk, tried a walker and hated it so I don’t use one, but I hobble quite noticeably, as everyone around me loves to point out, haha.

Enjoying a morning surf session as I countdown to surgery…

Got a friend who had both of them done.  One of them twice(defective).  He was out there in no time.  But follow the Doc’s Advice.  Don’t rush it.

One way of reducing stress and remove side effects associated with anaesthetic is to ask for an epidural. I had a friend who stayed awake through the whole operation. The only real pain is in the first ten days when sliding off the bed to go to the bathroom. This can helped by buying some silk shorts and even silk sheets that reduce friction. Other than that it is a cake walk as we say in NZ. You get back full mobility and will be springing to your feet like a grommet again plus no more need for pain killers. 

…hello Huck, I am in the need of a shoulder surgery. I still do not have 6 months at least to do nothing (well, I can study) then couple of years more to have (with hope) a full recovery.

After one year, you can go to surfing (in theory and practically most)

Of course hip replacement is different but I think that will be easier on the recovery.

Next month a customer here, that has no less than 15 Indonesia and 20 Hawaii seasons (3 to 6 months per season!) will have a knee replacement. He s 50 years old person but trained.

Right now I am building a 7 2 semi gun for him to go next week to until surgery to ride some big waves in Brazil.

…regarding that bike: you need to change the height of the seat and change the shape of it.

—regarding that poster in the photo that you posted, the sentence: “Clinica Ortopedica” are in lower case letters so needs written accents in boths words.

Reverb, OK, here is a topic I can contribute to.  I had shoulder surgery (torn rotator cuff and a clean out).  I was out of the water for about 4 months (I think).  But I came back stronger and with better range of motion than before.  Very glad I did it.  I was scrupulous with the PT aftewards.  I still do some of that for shoulder health.  But like ankles, shoulders take a while.  THe worst thing you can do is push too hard to recover and get tendenitus.  Then you are looking at months of no activity to cure that.

all the best.

…thank you Greg, I am afraid that this surgery cannot be performed due to I damaged it several years ago. I have kind of flat between the shoulder and the bicep (if I put the arm 90º and makes force, the bicep looks like a cartoon, like Popeye arm or like that)

By the way, with this new window to text, where is the spell corrector?

reverb, very sorry to hear that.  I thought they could fix anything.  

and yeah, I can’t spell either.  

all the best

[[{“fid”:“106613”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“left”},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“1”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“left”}},“link_text”:“VID_25190408_044810_521.mp4”,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-default media-wysiwyg-align-left”,“data-delta”:“1”}}]]

Resting up in hospital after surgery yesterday, baby steps with crutches, maybe go home tomorrow.

I suppose you’ve probably already given this a go but there’s the indo back first method - get the back foot resting on the tail pad first before popup. Then only need to popup the front leg. It’s messy but maybe it could be adapted for this. 

Now, the thing about this is the knee starts creating drag. Maybe some sways members have some advice to help that too. 

How’s the physio for hip mobility? My wife’s just qualified as a yoga teacher. Non of her instructors noticed her inflexible hips. There are 6 directions to move in. 

Bumped up, for a progress report.

Well Huck, how are you doing?       Many folks are pulling for your speedy recovery.      Me among them.

Thnx Bill - its been 11 days. I can walk a half mile without aid no prob, but i stll keep the cane handy. I can do some simple stretching. Can’t sit comfortably, bend over much, or sleep thru the night. I never even opened the bottle of percocet, just take an occasional advil

Absolutely OUTSTANDING !      Stunning, in fact.      You should be really pleased.

Hey Huck,

I don’t know how it feels from your perspective, but to me it sounds like you’re doing awesome considering what your body just went through.  Super glad to hear it.  Please continue to keep us posted. 

Wishing you all the best.

They tell me I’m doing great and healing fast. It feels like forever to me, haha. I started phys therapy today, and i get my 30 staples removed tomorrow.

Awesome to hear the progress! 

Sounds like you will be back in the line up in no time. 

Best thoughts and wishes on your recovery Huck. Of the people I know that have had your procedure they are back to life as usua but improvedl. I would have been more concerned with an initial post of “moving to colorado, will I ever surf again”. Glad to hear you are on the road to surfing again.

Howdy Huck - Sounds as if you’re well on the road to recovery!  A friend of mine had both hips done and I still can’t keep up with him on wilderness hikes…  he knows who he is and pokes his head in on Swaylocks now and then.