Hobie Gary Propper Model pintail step deck??

I’ve had this '67-'68 Hobie/Propper pintail for about 9 years mostly spent in my garage. 9’7" X 17.75 X 22.375 X 14.25. Volan glass with a deck patch, but weighing in at a mere 23 lbs. Recently I thought about selling it, so took a closer look and started thinking it looked a lot like the step decks of the time, but could find no ref to a Propper Model step deck anywhere online, etc. If you check the pics you’ll see it’s a double step deck, foiled very thin in front and less so in back with the meat in the middle. In any case, I’m wondering if there ever was such a thing as a Propper step deck, or if maybe this was a custom one-off for somebody who told the shaper to foil it like a step deck. Any ideas gratefully accepted. PS also has an early bolt through fin; the box on the bottom isn’t a straight rectangle but bows out on both sides a little in the middle. Does anybody know what brand that is and if fins that fit it are available? Thanks.

Never heard of any Proppers with a step deck. May be a custom/one-off? I can’t really see much of a step in your pics. The only Proppers I’ve ever seen in person were the squaretail version. I do not recall any ads that mention a step deck. They did run one or two that had the pintail version, but no step feature.
The finbox is the original Hobie “dogbone” system. Hobie was the only one to use it. It was his design. Fins are very rare, unless you get a replica. They were made with polypropelene and became brittle over time, eventually breaking. If your fin is clean and not all flaky it has survived better than most. Post a closeup pic of the fin.

I was able to load that one side view pic full screen. I don’t see any steps in the nose or tail. I was able to see an enlarged view of the fin. It looks pretty good compared to most

I agree that it doesn’t have the more radical scoop that most people think of as a step deck, which is why I didn’t think that when I first bought it in 2009. But when I was researching it recently I ran across a bunch of 66-68 models like Surfboards Hawaii Model A and Nuuhiwa Lightweight that had a more gradual foil–not a step as much as a slide. Then looked for modern equivalents and found this at Arenal Surfboards (I understand Michael Arenal also shapes for Hobie). Here’s the blurb and pic below has his board above mine. That’s when i decided to post on swaylocks. (Oh, I spray painted the fin. Before that it was beat up and sort of black.) Anyway, here’s the blurb. He calls this board “Camel”: “A classic pintail plan shape with modern bells and whistles. Featuring: flat bottom to a subtle spiral vee through the tail, soft down rails, double step deck, foiled in the nose and tail with meat in the center, and kick out the tail. All of these elements provide a platform for smooth stable surfing whether that be long carves or noserides. Lately I’ve been riding this board at Rincon and Cstreet and am pleased with how stable and reliable the Camel is. It has turned into my go-to everyday log.” Anyway, I think they look pretty similar. And the few Propper pintails I’ve seen from the side definitely don’t have that super thinned out front third. See also Kookbox pintail step deck for another modern boord with that kind of profile.

Also, thanks for the info on the fin box.

That looks like a fun board.
I’ve had a couple of vintage GP’s over the years, but nothing as nicely foiled as yours. Will ask around with a few friends who are really into vintage Hobies and see - might be a one-off indeed.

Very few boards from that period had a real noticeable step. Most “stepdecks” had a gradual taper. Yater Spoon, Harbour Cheater, etc. I think yours may have more of a subtle S deck profile. Have you tried putting a straight edge down the stringer, to see what’s really going on?

Also, you mention the board weighs 23 lbs. I meant to address that. That is typical for 1967. Average weight in 1962 was 26-28 lbs and those boards had double 10 oz glass, top and bottom. Your GP most likely has 8oz cloth and the obvious deck patch says the glass job is single layer, both sides. Just that alone accounts for the reduction of 3-5 lbs. I think the blanks had gotten a bit lighter by then, too.

Thanks for all the good responses. S shape makes sense, so I won’t call it a step deck, but seems kind of unique until I see a similar Propper. Interesting on the weight change in late 60s. I surfed S. Bay mainly from 1961-66 but then moved back east for college an didn’t get back to surfing regularly til 1995. My last board back in the day was a 9’6 Jacobs at probably 26-27 lbs. I have an early 60s Wardy pig that was once covered in red automotive paint. Had that taken off but still weighs 29.5. Maybe a little waterlogged.

I had a Hobie Super light. From around 1967. It was advertised as being only 22 lbs. so light you could pick it up with one hand.

Poly boards don’t get waterlogged. Urethane foam does not act like a sponge to any great degree. You could submerge a cubic yard of poly foam in water for a year and the weight would hardly change. Some 60s logs did weigh close to 30 lbs. People didn’t fuss over a few extra ounces of resin in a glass job all that much back then. As I said previously, boards from those days averaged 26-28 lbs, so of course there would be some that ran a few pounds + or -. I had a 65 Hobie Noserider that was rather clean. A 10’2". It weighed 32 lbs. Thing was thick as hell.

22 sounds about right. I recall the Nuuhiwa Lightweight clocking in at 18 lbs in early '68.

Closest answer seems to be Boss Surfboards “Hot Dog Log.” I’ve found some other Boss threads on swaylocks and grabbed one profile shot below. Boss has got more curve than the Propper, but seems to be the same principle.

From 1960 to 1963, I rode a 9’ 7’’ x 21’’ (glassed with double 13oz deck and double 10oz bottom) that weighed 33 pounds. Board was what I later called the ‘‘WindanSea Special.’’ That design is still a viable choice today. Nine feet by 20 pounds, would be an outstanding performer, even today.

OK, finally found somebody who owned one on an old discussion thread from 2011 on 2nd Light. See screenshot. Mine also has balsa/black foam/redwood stringer. This guy bought it back in the day and he calls it a step deck, so I guess that answers my question at the top.

I had one that was bruised, browned and battered that someone gave me back in the early 90’s. Great board, wish I’d kept it. It had a step deck for sure. Sorry, don’t have any pics.

Nice board. Looks very much like a late 68 or 69 Model A Surfboards Hawaii. Call the Hobie Shop in DP. I have a Model A Blank that I stripped out of a very damaged AAA. The nose is snapped and has been repaired. I’ll have to check my other phone. I may have a pic. The Blank is currently down at Millennium. The Step is very noticeable and the rails are pinched. Most of the AAA’s came in at 9’ even. I also have a Bud Cravens Stepdeck. Still a rideable board and have had it out in the water many times. Very noticeable Step also. Most that have survived are stress cracked and have been repaired. They definitely flex.

Looks like you have a great rider and an unusual variant. Stoked for you.
With vintage boards, I’ve found that there are so many variables - one-off’s, customs, protos… that many of the blanket statements about periods, models, even construction, just don’t hold up.
I still remember seeing my first Simmons at South Carlsbad in the mid-eighties - older guy, kind of beat board, I was just getting into longboards at the time and was maybe 14. A couple of guys were griping about how he had ruined a classic board by turning it into a twin fin… everyone knows those old balsas were singe fins, right?
Enjoy!

Yeah right.