Hobie Phil Edwards Model Questions

Hello, it’s been a while since I posted here on Swaylocks. I have a Hobie Phil Edwards model 9’0" that I believe is from the 80s, but I’m having trouble IDing it. I’ve read a lot of threads on Sway’s and other sites, and looked at a bunch of pictures, but I find that my board has some characteristics of certain runs of the model, but not others. For instance, it has the gold label, but no model number on the label. It doesn’t have a “Phil Edwards” signature on the foam or stringer anywhere, but it says “Phil 4/89/” on the deck by the tail. I only ask this info because I have someone who is interested in buying it, and since I never use it and would rather see a board used instead of hung on my ceiling (although, admittedly, it looks damn good there), I figured I’d sell it. I’ll include some pictures too. If anyone has any what a fair asking price would be, that info would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance!

Chris

I think it’s a safe bet that it was built in April of 1989. It sure isn’t an original 60s version.

I wouldn’t pay over $300 for it but that’s just me.  Definately an 80s board that’s had a bit of a rough life.

The condition doesn’t seem all that bad. I’ve certainly seen much newer boards that are “rougher”. What’s that yellowing on the deck, at the tail? Hope it’s not a leaky finbox. Got pics of the box?

If Phil did indeed shape it, I’d say it’s worth more than 300. 500-600 easily,  if he’s the shaper.

It is unlikly that Phil Edwards shaped that board.  I have looked at a few Phil Edwards Boards from late 80s early 90’s and only seen one signed on the stringer by Phil Edwards. I do think that would makea re-issued Board worth more But not $2,000.   Some others made claims that it is shaped by Terry Martin. Or that Martin shaped all the Edwards that Phil did not shape. Still,  nothing signed on the board. Without some providence as to the shaper It become a nice board from that time and not worth a $1,000.  Yes one of the boards that I look at the guy was asking $1,500 but would take no less then $1,000.  The board shown will need some work. The fin box is most likly taking on some water.  So like others here have said it should be south of $500. 

Artz, when I shaped for Hobie, in 1965, my shaping rack was between Phil’s racks and Terry’s racks.     What I observed was that Phil would sometimes ask Terry to shape that days boards for him, because he wanted to work on his catamaran El Gato, that particular day.     This is not a ‘‘claim’’, but something I saw first hand, a number of times.      That was in 1965, but what happened in later years, is anyones guess.

Saw two 80’s-90’s Phil’s sell for $500 and $600 each in Santa Barbara just a week ago.  Would have bought them myself if I wasn’t so damned broke.  There is also another of the same run on Craig’s for $2500.  All signed boards.  Anything less then $800 is very reasonable.  I own two;  One is a late run from the 60’s the other is a 90’s.  Both signed.  A collector up here in Oregon has three, all signed.  There were 60’s boards with the foil logo that were not signed.  But there were also 60’s boards with the foil logo that were signed.  So go figure.  Terry Martin definitely shaped some of the 60’s.  Did anyone besides Phil shape any of later run that went thru Stewart and Ron House,s glass shop.  I don’t know.  I’m sure Ron House could give you the whole history.  Lowel 

There is currently a 90’s run Phil on Craigslist San Diego for $2500.  No signature, just the foil lam.  Wonder if the guy from England who placed an add here in the Surf Shop ever found one.  Makes $500 & $600 look pretty good.  They pop up from time to time.  There are lots of “icon” type collector boards out there.  Most of it over priced. But some of it is very reasonable. Have seen a lot of Hansen’boards(usually the case) and several Bings of late.  Depends on what you are looking for and if you know where to look. If you’re a wheeler dealer who isn’t interested in anything other than buying cheap and selling for the big bucks,there isn’t a lot of wiggle room.