Hollow wooden performance mid

Second surfboard made, hollow wooden performance mid

2 Likes

Hello. Some of you might have seen my attempt at a hollow aluminium board. I turned out a bit heavy, and I attempted to make it lighter with cutouts in the alloy deck with Paulownia inserts. To cut a long story short it was not great and better as art. So I used up the 150 by 50 planks of paulownia I got and made a performance hollow wood surfboard. I attempted to make it similar to a board I like the 7/0 Skindog Ova. I just used a free cad model and adjusted it by scale in Solidworks and used the output for the interlocking ribs. I machined them myself on my little Boxford cnc, Then made a think 4mm thick laminated top and bottom, a rocker deck and started gluing. Im surfing it now and its amazing, great glide. It weighs 5.0kg it runs all 5 fin modern fcs 2 boxes. It took so many hours over the last few months that I wouldn’t like to count. I am just learning really, but its very nice and im very happy with it as a surfboard alrounder.

2 Likes

Great job! It’s a shame the Aluminum board didn’t pan out. This is a work of art!!!

1 Like

awesome job! the board looks really nice! glad to hear it surfs well, too! Have fun with it!

1 Like

Thanks so much. There is something I could try to rescue the aluminium boards suitability. Now it is structural. I could go in underneath neatly cut out the bottom. Take out at least 50 percent of the core structure holding it together since the other side will be holding it all down as I work. Then re apply a new bottom deck over the lightened insides. I’m thinking about it. ?? Could be a cool board to try and surf. It’s 9.5 kg which is a little bit to heavy for its size. I need a photo of both boards side by side.