home builder / pope bisect

are these kits made available to home builders? anybody done one? you make a board, cut it in half, and take the install from there, right? i don’t have one on the drawing board or anything…but the thought has crossed my mind. swaylock: if you read this, how’s that ‘boards page’ coming along? i miss it!

I spoke with someone at Pope about two years ago…I think it was Thane Pope…and I was informed that they were not too comfortable selling the kit. From what I understand, the shaper routers out a few pockets that accept some of the internal components, the board is glassed as normal, then is packed up and shipped to their factory. There, the board is cut in two, the remaining components are installed and the whole deal is shipped backed to you. I was contemplated this but after calculating shipping from Canada to California and back, plus what they charge to do the work on the board, it just was not feasible. Mt guess is that they are afraid of someone doing a hack job with their components. If that happens, then its their name on an inferior product. I can understand that stance. This was only the response I got a couple of years ago…maybe give them a call and ask again. If they do give you the green light…let us know…I’m sure there are several of us who would love to give it a go. Later Dee

I spoke with someone at Pope about two years ago…I think it was Thane Pope…and I was informed that they were not too comfortable selling the kit. From what I understand, the shaper routers out a few pockets that accept some of the internal components, the board is glassed as normal, then is packed up and shipped to their factory. There, the board is cut in two, the remaining components are installed and the whole deal is shipped backed to you. I was contemplated this but after calculating shipping from Canada to California and back, plus what they charge to do the work on the board, it just was not feasible. My guess is that they are afraid of someone doing a hack job with their components. If that happens, then its their name on an inferior product. I can understand that stance. This was only the response I got a couple of years ago…maybe give them a call and ask again. If they do give you the green light…let us know…I’m sure there are several of us who would love to give it a go. Later Dee

are these kits made available to home builders? anybody done one? you make > a board, cut it in half, and take the install from there, right? i don’t > have one on the drawing board or anything…but the thought has crossed > my mind.>>> swaylock: if you read this, how’s that ‘boards page’ coming along? i miss > it! Ramon, Karl has designed a pretty sophisticated carriage for cutting boards in half , or thirds. I can’t speak for him , but I would think that the precision is in the registration of the cutting of the board , and then, boring out for the tubing is where liability and guarantees are. There are close tolerances in doing so. I’ve yet to here of parts being sold for independent applications. I have heard of them Bisecting boards for people. Maybe there’s a good excuse for a trip out west. I don’t think it would be hard to contact Karl Pope , or his people.

Phone: 760-268-1066 Fax: 805-640-8994 406 J Bryant Circle Ojai CA 93023

I spoke with someone at Pope about two years ago…I think it was Thane > Pope…and I was informed that they were not too comfortable selling the > kit. From what I understand, the shaper routers out a few pockets that > accept some of the internal components, the board is glassed as normal, > then is packed up and shipped to their factory. There, the board is cut in > two, the remaining components are installed and the whole deal is shipped > backed to you. I was contemplated this but after calculating shipping from > Canada to California and back, plus what they charge to do the work on the > board, it just was not feasible.>>> Mt guess is that they are afraid of someone doing a hack job with their > components. If that happens, then its their name on an inferior product. I > can understand that stance.>>> This was only the response I got a couple of years ago…maybe give them a > call and ask again. If they do give you the green light…let us > know…I’m sure there are several of us who would love to give it a go.>>> Later Dee I used to work for Carl and Tom in Ventura and had the chance to talk to Carl at Donald Takayamas when they were first introducing the bisect. It is not a mater of simply cutting a board and reconnecting. The have a line boring machine and jig that holds the board in alignment during the cutting, seperation, boring, not what you will find in the home hobby shop.