Home made tail block on the real cheap

Photo essay ask questions in needed:

Very nice effect!
I’m assuming the filler between the wood cubes is pigmented resin?

1 Like

Yes sir Black resin…this one will have a bit more contrast

2 Likes

@resinhead1 this is very creation :slightly_smiling_face:. i like it. Could you share more details of your homemade tail block? & how you managed to make it on a budget.

first tip is go to paint store and get free paint stir sticks…they are perfect thickness and knot free for tail blocks. Next is if there is a furniture manufacturer in your area…go take a look in their trash can, you’d be amazed and the awesome array of perfect wood cut offs you can find. (dumpster dive at your own risk)

1 Like

2 Likes

Thank you @resinhead1 :slightly_smiling_face: for sharing more detail.

@resinhead1 Waoo again It is too good :grinning:

Great idea and nice job, looking forward to seeing the surfboard application. A woodworker friend uses a similar system turning scrap into classic fin desktop
displays.

1 Like

I saw your 3 stringer creation and noticed this! Extra cool. I am more into woodworking than shaping, so I find things like this interesting in the extreme. You are a fine woodworker.
Once again, thanks for sharing this idea.
BTW the dumpster diving thing is real. Lots of free gems out there - just ask permission first and most shops will be glad to accomodate. Also free donuts will help your request to come aboard be granted!

I wondered what progression of sanding grits do you use on a wood/resin tailblock when shaping it to the blank, assuming you are using a power tool?

I put the tail block on after the board is glassed. Attached are some nose block pics…but its the same deal.

1 Like

The board was copy of my buddies favorite board. EPS 2 lb foam

3 Likes

and yes power tools all the way…grind that wood down and sand at 220, then cheater coat of lam resin over wood, then glass over , hot coat…sand…then hot coat the entire board.

Thank you. This will help a lot. I am going to be shaping a copy of a 3 stringer 9-6 Gordie I have which unfortunately has a twist in it. It has nose and taiil blocks which I want to reproduce. I watched Bob Olson put a tail block on years ago and he shaped it to the finished blank with a power disk sander. Unbelievable control and artistry. He never even nicked the foam.

Good an ya for the reply!

beautiful work, as always, and great thread!