hot coat

After doing the resin and fiber glass stuff do you need to hot coat your board; like will it just fall apart if you dont.

Hi bill,

If you are using poly resin you will need to do a hot coat as well

First you need to use Lam resin to stick the glass cloth to the board and fill in the weave, this will always remain tacky.

Once the board is covered in glass and the lam coat has gon off you need to do a hot coat. This is the same a lam resin but has the addition of wax in strine in it (called surfacing agent or S.A for short), the wax rises to the surface of the resin and gives a hard finish which can then be sanded and then sealed or glossed.

Hope this helps.

Hi Bill, you board is highly unlikely to fall apart but as woody says you might just stick to it. Have you searching throught the archives yet? You will find answers to all these types of questions there. Have a look there’s loads of really helpfull infomation.

Cheers KS

Howzit billy, It won’t fall apart but you’ll get one heck of a rash riding it. Hot coating a board is a process that cannot be eliminated. Aloha,Kokua

Hey thanks for the info but wat do u think i should hot coat it with and can you give me some advice on hot coating; hard easy and stuff like that.

and i also just got glassing 101 does it have it in that

Use sanding/hotcoat resin.

Tape off peak of rails, brush it on lengthwise, then go across stringer from nose to tail twice, then lengthwise all within 7 minutes, then leave the room and don’t come back till the resin gels, about 35 minutes later to pull off the tape.

Mixed normally, your batch will gel within that 35 minutes. Any shorter, the brush strokes don’t go away. Any longer, you’ll get runs and separations, needing another hotcoat after full sanding.

Quote:

Hey thanks for the info but wat do u think i should hot coat it with and can you give me some advice on hot coating; hard easy and stuff like that.

and i also just got glassing 101 does it have it in that

Mate, If you get through the laminating / glassing bit without a hassle, the hotcoating bit is a breeze :slight_smile:

And, yes it’s covered in Glassing 101.

-Cam