hotcoat tape residue

Ok, everytime I tape around the board for the bottom hotcoat app. I get this sticky residue on the rails after I remove the masking tape. I know its from the reaction between the resin and the adhesive, but is there a brand or technique that prevents this? The residue is impossible to sand off so I have to scrape it all of with a razor and its pretty time consuming. Thanks for any input… laters

Sounds like a case of cheap masking tape. I had the same problem. Now I get my tape where I get my glassing supplies. I buy a good quaility tape to tape off the rails and then use home depot cheap stuff on top of the good stuff to add width. Hope this helps.

Get some blue 3m masking tape. No more residue. http://www.suncure.com/suncure/old_suncure/epoxyminitube.html

Get some blue 3m masking tape. No more residue. 3m #233 tape is one of the best for resin related work. Try acetone for wiping off the residue. Aloha, Kokua Fiberglass

i use the same stuff as Kokua. never have a problem. listen to anything Kokua says. he has given everyone here some valuable tips…thanks…

i use the same stuff as Kokua. never have a problem. listen to anything > Kokua says. he has given everyone here some valuable > tips…thanks… Yeah I was getting the cheap stuff at home depot, $1 a roll, i guess you get what you pay for. Ill get the 3M stuff next time. Thanks for the info guys. take it easy

Yeah I was getting the cheap stuff at home depot, $1 a roll, i guess you > get what you pay for. Ill get the 3M stuff next time. Thanks for the info > guys. take it easy … …You can:FOR NOT SO BAD CASES:Take new masking tape and cover the gummy residue,rub it with a tongue blade and put it up fast.This should remove it.FOR HEAVY CASES:I use Goof Off first then lightly wipe with acetone to take off the oily residue that the goof off leaves. …Keep your tape cold(this is key)I use 3M 20/20 alot with minimal problems with residue(just when it gets hot). …Try and not wipe your lam with acetone to much it will cause pre-mature yellowing.Herb

…You can:FOR NOT SO BAD CASES:Take new masking tape and cover > the gummy residue,rub it with a tongue blade and put it up fast.This > should remove it.FOR HEAVY CASES:I use Goof Off first then lightly wipe > with acetone to take off the oily residue that the goof off leaves.>>> …Keep your tape cold(this is key)I use 3M 20/20 alot with > minimal problems with residue(just when it gets hot).>>> …Try and not wipe your lam with acetone to much it will cause > pre-mature yellowing.Herb Herb,thanks for adding the part about yellowing, I forgot to add that myself,I use the tape trick myself. I sometimes get tape residue when I’m putting the sharp rail edge back in the tail area with UV, real sunny days it’s a gimme, cloudy days I usually don’t get it. Some days I do it one way ,another day another way, what ever way my brain decides for that day. Aloha,Kokua

Herb,thanks for adding the part about yellowing, I forgot to add that > myself,I use the tape trick myself. I sometimes get tape residue when I’m > putting the sharp rail edge back in the tail area with UV, real sunny days > it’s a gimme, cloudy days I usually don’t get it. Some days I do it one > way ,another day another way, what ever way my brain decides for that day. > Aloha,Kokua …yeah,I hear ya.It’s kinda like grabbing the first thing handy,and if that’s too slow I move on to the next thing.Herb

Ok, everytime I tape around the board for the bottom hotcoat app. I get > this sticky residue on the rails after I remove the masking tape. I know > its from the reaction between the resin and the adhesive, but is there a > brand or technique that prevents this? The residue is impossible to sand > off so I have to scrape it all of with a razor and its pretty time > consuming. Thanks for any input… laters I clean it up with acetone or sitrus oil. regards, Håvard

I use a 2" wide packaging tape from Italy.Brand is vibac and it comes in boxes of 30 rolls and costs $1.60 (australian dollars) per roll.You can leave it on overnight if you like and it leaves no residue at all.It is also thinner than the 3M gear and leaves a much thinner and finer tape line.Rolls are 75metres long.