Hotcoat with different epoxy

I shaped a mini simmons out of a snapped foam board, and lammed the entire board in Entropy Resins Super Sap Epoxy. Works great, except Iused the last bit glassing on the fins and need more to hotcoat the thing. The tough part about Entropy is that it takes a week to ship and is no cheaper than RR/west system epoxy, which i could pick up from a somewhat local supplier. So my question is, has anyone hotcoated a board in a different type of epoxy than what they used for the lam?

What I don’t understand is why anyone would use anything but RESIN RESEARCH?  Still you can use whatever else is around, but don’t expect the consistency and strength, and facility of usage of RESIN RESEARCH products.

I once used Fiberglass Hawaii's epoxy resin to lam, then hotcoated with RR, and didn't have any issues.

I’ve used different lam epoxy and hot coated with RR KK no problems at all…

G.R.

I like RR epoxy it’s great, but there are other viable options out there…

I would seriously like to get my hands on some Greenroom epoxy, I hear it’s great also…

I’ve been using a German  aircraft epoxy for years called  MGS  ( Martin G. Scheufler) … While I don’t know how well it stays clear  when compared to RR ,  I don’t think there are many (comercial grade) stronger than it…

I’ve used different epoxies for fill and lams with no problem. I’ve even mixed FH and RR epoxies together, was running low and had a little of both, no problem there either.

I’ve been using Composite Polymer Design epoxy for about a year, maybe less. I like it. Before that I used mostly Fiberglass Hawaii epoxy, but also tried West System resin.

Just make sure you use a resin that will not turn yellow or brown over time. I’ve used boat resin and it will turn yellow brown very fast. Ok if you paint over it.

We use GreenRoom epoxy. Have never had any problems on the 30 something boards we have built. We just use one coat for lam and one coat for gloss coating. If done right, no dust or fingerprint oils, it will come out perfectly smooth and shine like a glass christmas tree ball.

dan

calabash, NC

[quote="$1"]

I shaped a mini simmons out of a snapped foam board, and lammed the entire board in Entropy Resins Super Sap Epoxy. Works great, except Iused the last bit glassing on the fins and need more to hotcoat the thing. The tough part about Entropy is that it takes a week to ship and is no cheaper than RR/west system epoxy, which i could pick up from a somewhat local supplier. So my question is, has anyone hotcoated a board in a different type of epoxy than what they used for the lam?

We are working with chemicals not baking cookies.

[/quote]

Hey, Rey here from Entropy Resins. To answer the hot coating question, yes, you should be fine hot coating with other resins, so long as you prep the surface, I.e. rough up cured resin, clean surface to be free of dust and oils. Also, we are available through many more distributors now, so hopefully you can find one closer to you so you don’t have to wait for shipping. Please check our website or call for details.

I did RR hotcoat over super sap lam and had no issues…

sorry, i hit post too many times…

[quote="$1"]

sorry, i hit post too many times...

[/quote]

You also deleted 3/4 of your post...?

again, sorry. that part of the reply was actually meant for another thread on sways.

Wooden Surfboard builder from Amsterdam, The Netherlands.