How big should my butt crack be?

I´m just getting started on project #002, which is gonna be a big fish. Something in the 6.10 range for when the waves get a bit more demanding. Kind of a semi gun fish if that exists.

From the archives I see that a fish should measure at least 10 inches between the points and the depth can be about half this length but I imagine this is for more traditional (smaller) under 6 feet fish. But what about when the length starts to increase? Should the butt crack also get deeper?

I’ll ask my wife to measure mine with a tape measure and get back to you. Sorry. Mike

Ok. Sorry about my first response. I’ve talked about this with a friend who thinks he needs a BIG fish. I guess if I built it for him I would make it 12-13 inches from tip to tip like my little fishes. Maybe 23-24 inches wide a few inches in front of center. I know Kane Garden makes a great big fish type board. Pretty much a long board with the big butt crack. I’ve never ridden one or seen one ridden well. Big ol Crack on them.Mike

Quote:

Ok. Sorry about my first response. I’ve talked about this with a friend who thinks he needs a BIG fish. I guess if I built it for him I would make it 12-13 inches from tip to tip like my little fishes. Maybe 23-24 inches wide a few inches in front of center. I know Kane Garden makes a great big fish type board. Pretty much a long board with the big butt crack. I’ve never ridden one or seen one ridden well. Big ol Crack on them.Mike

Thanks Mike. Tell your wife not to go to too much trouble. If the tip to tip measurement is 12-13 inches should the depth be half of this i.e. 6 - 6.5 inches or is this not really the case. I´m actually planning more of a semi gun board rather than longboard and had imagined 6.10 with the wide point around 20.5/21.0. Thanks Jason.

…If I was making a 6’10" …uh… “fish”… for bigger surf, I’d keep the same tail width as if I was making a 6’0".

But it sounds like you want a 20" wide semigun with a swallow tail and wide nose, and that’s not a fish at all. Maybe you should build a hybrid, swallow tail thruster.

If you want to make a fish that’s 6’10" you gotta make it more than 20" wide. How big are you? What do you normally ride?

How about 6’10"X15X22X15X3 with a normal sized retro swallow?

I’m in love with this board.

http://www.hesssurfboards.com/outer_bar_sg.html

I’ve been in touch with the designer Danny about it but unfortunately they are not available in Brasil so I thought I’d have a go at building something similar but in foam.

I ride a 6.0 - 21.0 fish with either twin keels or as a quad and also a 5.9 - 20.75 quad that I just finished making. I’m 6 foot and about 75kgs.

Interesting shape… the quad makes sense.