how do you make your own blanks?

Hi I’m trying to figure out how to make you own blanks. I’ve spent numerous hours on the computer and not much has come up so if anybody has any info at all it is appreciated.

thanks, Tom

Search archives here–2# EPS, hot wire cutter–you’ll figure out where to go for the rest

Hi Young gun 2,

if you’re talking about hot pouring your own foam (ala Clark), the archives have a few discussions on it where I remember people saying that it is quite dangerous (explosions, health issues, etc.) and the cost of just dabbling with the stuff is tremendous.

Cheers,

Rio

or if you wanted you could do the home depot blank search: 14$ blank

I’ve toyed with the idea of Kingspan poleurethane insulation sheets as blanks. I’ve done a couple of experiments with poly resin and glass on shaped pieces which indicate this might work well. Kingspan is yellow though, not that I care abou that. This stuff comes in various thicknesses and in 8’ x 4’ sheets which is foil coated on one side but peels off easily.

If anyone gives this a go properly before I do let me know how it goes.

I work in the building industry and there’s always loads of Kingspan lying around on site so I would love to know how good it is to work with. Even went to a Kingspan seminar where they pored the chemicals into a McDonalds cup and it expanded over the top. Again, if anyone’s used it I would love to know the results.

Hey LP, HansF has just PM’d me about a board he’s built from insulation foam, Not sure if it was Kingspan. Lots of pics of him surfing it.

Where are you based?

hi.

you can pour your own foam into a homemade mould using two part bouyancy foam, most boat building supplies sell this ,this was how i made my first two boards when i didnt know ant better many years ago, the foam is yellowish so you have to either paint it or colour the resin, the link below wil give you some idea of what i am on about , pete

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/cgi-local/ss000001.pl?SS=foam&ACTION=Go%21&PR=-1&TB=A&SHOP=

Hey Fatbaslardass (nice name…)

I split my time between working in North Wales and playing in Newcastle Upon Tyne. Think I’ll swipe a piece of Kingspan next time I’m on site. I’ve seen a few posts about how to put the stringer in and sort the rocker.

Le Perit

Mate, next time you’re on site, swipe half a dozen for me, blanks galore and I can insulate my new T4. Where in N Wales are you? The rocker might be best done with a table in my opinion but Hans seems to have sussed it without.

Two 1/2"-2" EPS sheets glued with GG then bagged-taped-saran wrapped,or pile lots of junk on top.

Put an old blank or board under for the rocker table.Check out the $14dollar blank thread and home depot blank thread.

Ian

I have used the kingspan. It works well, just makesure that when you glue the two pieces together they are solid. After that youve got room for about 3.5’ nose rocker. I went with a fish, it seemed the right way to go with the low rocker and all

Quote:

Mate, next time you’re on site, swipe half a dozen for me, blanks galore and I can insulate my new T4. Where in N Wales are you? The rocker might be best done with a table in my opinion but Hans seems to have sussed it without.

Live in the metropolis that is Penmaenmawr and I work in Bangor.

Right, very impressed with responses to the Kingspan question so just got to figure out how to hide a few sheets up my jumper now…

I’ll get my mum to start knitting you a really big jumper!

There is a building site started happening next to the offices I work at so I might wait for the Kingspan lorry to arrive and get a big jumper of my own. Keep us posted if you decide to give the KS board a go.