How I cut EPS for Stringers

Awesome.

Much cleaner than a messy saw blade throwing dust in the air.

Just don’t breathe those fumes.

Very innovative. That’s a sweet set up. Just recently made a new hotwire cutter longer than my last but nae long enough for the length of a blank. Perfect solution, i hate that e.p.s dust/foam sticks too everything & gets everywhere! The less of any of that the better. Took me a while to get the correct wire tension and spring size but so worth while. Thanks for sharing. Slanj…

Big thanks to Mr Loehr. I learned from a pro. 

Greg-   Yes a hot wire is the way to go.  I’ve seen Greg Loehr’s setup in his video.  If you’ve got the room, it looks easy enough to duplicate.  How do you secure your setup it to your shaping rack?  and  How do you place the blank on it accurately to insure a straight cut??  Do I see some sort of a straight edge off to one side of the blank to set it against???  Lowel

The bow just hangs off the board.  But it is critical to get the board level atharwtships (ie side to side).  Use a level.  Don’t worry about fore and aft.  Also use a thin wire.  Heavy wire will get kinks and cut with kinky waves.  Thin wire will lay straight.  I built this a while back and don’t recall the gauge.  With the length of the bow, it is hard to get a lot of tension in the wire, so thin wire helps.

I am an expert among experts with a hand saw cutting outline curves.  But I gave up trying to cut a straight stringer down the middle.  And a jib saw is even worse for me.

all the best

I like the PVC pipe idea. Neat. I dropped weighted wire over the ends of a table but got some wobbles because weights sometimes don’t play nice.

So you line it up, hanging from the blank and then switch it on and let the hot wire pull through?

Zackaly 

I like it Greg!

Although EPS is dead to me (for now at least).

I might try to copy your idea if/when we get ahold of some more XPS.

Another option, if you’re using block foam, is to cut the blank up the middle using whatever saw you like but then gluing together the factory, outside edges.

nice! ive tried this a couple different ways cant ever seem to get it right…