How many layer cloth with piece of fabric on deck

hello there,

i wanted to know how many layer of cloth do you use for deck lamination in the case that you want to put a piece of fabric like pareo on the whole surfboard deck.

thanks.

Eric.

Do you put:

piece of fabric + 4Oz + 6Oz fiber glass or

piece of fabric + 6 Oz fiber glass is enough?

Me?  I always put two layers over the deck fabric, 6+6 or 6+4. In other words, when I use a fabric inlay, I do my inlay first, then glass over it the same as any other board, inlay or not.  Dunno what anybody else does tho, and I’m just a backyarder.

Wich foam? Do you want a light foot dented board? 

Hello there,

Thanks for yours replies. I wanted to do like DHD does on their mini twin deck decoration. Gonna work on XtraFoam surfblank with polyester resin. I will follow your advices. 2 Layers of fibers glass with piece of fabric.

Just wanna know, what is the best:

Piece of fabric on foam + 4Oz + 6 Oz

or

4Oz + piece of fabric + 6 Oz ?

Hi Hunk,

When you do your first inlay, do you let it dry and then you glass over it the same as any other board ?

I’ve done both. 4 + inlay + 4/6oz is nice because the fabric is sandwiched between two layers of cloth which helps with bonding issues to the foam. The downside is, that’s 3 layers of cloth and the inlay is usually thick so it adds weight. Could be handy as a deck patch though. 

Fabric right on the foam always sketches me out because I’m wondering if there is a good bond to the foam. 

Which one is best? Not sure. I would do cloth + inlay + cloth.

I put the fabric down first, next to the foam.

For an inlay, do the opposite side first as a cut lap, then do the fabric and follow up with glass after you cut the inlay. If it’s on the bottom, you can just do a single layer of glass. I do at least 2 for the deck. I like to brush a thin coat of resin on the foam before laying the fabric down. Just roll up half the board like you would when doing labels, brush the resin and roll out the fabric, then do the other side. smooth out the fabric and pour resin on top then squeegee out as much as possible to keep it light.

I won’t go into details about how I do it;   But shark country is correct in his methodology.

What fabric are you using? Thin silk?  Nylon? Cotton?

Because of shear and elasticity, cloth goes against the foam.

Silk won’t add strength, so glass like normal.

Nylon replaces fiberglass and adds ding resistance.

Cotton will soak resin, and add tons of weight. 

If you want it light, saturate the cloth on a wet out table, squeegee it almost dry, and use a vacuum bag. 

I should have mentioned to do a test with a small piece of the fabric to see if it will run, or if it will melt. I’ve done a few small inlays that were just at the edge where the colors were about to run when I tried to squeegee it as dry as possible. Some fabrics are not compatible with polyurethane resin.

Hi everysurfer,

The piece of fabric is a pareo (sarong) is composed 60% Polyester and  40% Cotton.

Very good idea, I will do a test a small piece of foam. Normally the piece of fabric is 60% Polyester and 40% Cotton. I am working with Polyester resin.

Spot on, Mark.

all the best

I didn’t think about the resin, since I always use epoxy.  With polyester, forget the wet out table.

Put resin on blank lay cloth over, let it soak and push fiber in resin, scrap and add resin to saturate where needed. Use uv poly so you have time to well scrap off excess resin, lam may look on dry side, uv Flash to kick then lam Glass over as usual. With epoxy, better with poly fiber, squegge epoxy cabosil past on foam, glue fiber and lam over scraping off all excess resin.

You could still wet it out on a table.  Position your top layer of cloth and roll it back like you would for a lam/logo.  Then wet out your fabric inlay with NO catalyst in your Poly resin on a table.   Pick it up and lay it out on the blank.  Squeege the fabric out onto the foam.  Roll your top layer of cloth over the fabric and proceed to laminate the blank with Poly resin containing MEK.  The MEK resin will blend with the resin in the fabric via squeege.  I usually up my dose of MEK when I do this.   If it is a full deck inlay; have a helper pick up one end of the top layer and lift and position it on the blank.  I have also rolled both ends to the middle and then rolled the top layer out. A little tricky with dry cloth on wet fabric, but it can be done.  When I am laminating anything tricky onto a deck;  I usually wet it out with Non-MEK resin and then catalyze my top layer over it.  Gives me lots of time to position the Ribz, Carbon Vector Net etc.