How many layers of glass can you laminate at once?

Sorry I should have said, using PE but will look up those videos, I think I saw the FH ones a long while ago but forgotten em so will find em again.

I am actually considering rethinking the glassing. He wants 6 bottom, 6+4 deck minimum, but doesn’t want a heavy board (which I usually make for my own family, longevity in mind).  I might consider 4+4 bottom (allowing one tint, one clear over logos), and maybe 4+4+4 deck which would allow one tinted, then two clear which I can laminate in one go, hopefully no air bubbles if all nice and flat and bump free on colour layer.

One thing I am not sure about is the colour difference between 6 and 4 with same tinted resin. I am assuming 6 would be darker due to more resin held in the cloth? He wants a fairly dark green tint, so I will probably just need to add a bit more tint to get the nice dark finish on the 4oz layer. I can’t mess this up so I will need to lay some 4oz off cuts over old bits of foam to check it’s right, i pull the lam very tight (need to stop doing that, gone too far away from floated cloth, other extreme and pulling dry spots, so I am told anyway), so the color will get very thin and lighten up I think. Only one way to find out, but after shaping a bonzer, I really could do without trashing the blank and starting again!

Saying that… I suppose If the first layer of 4oz came out too light, I could just go ahead and do the deck layer of 4oz with the same resin, then add some green to the next layer too, just be very careful sanding the hot coat.

Thanks for input, really appreciate it

Stick with the six bottom and six and four deck.  Plenty strong and what comes out of most factories on a longboard.  Extra layers, are extra opportunities to screw something up.  Use six for the tint top and bottom and then freelap a four ounce on the deck.  Not necessary to four ounce the bottom.  Get the color right the first time.  Pour off enough Poly to do both the top and bottom.  Keep adding tint until it is dark enough to suit you.  You can test by dabbing a little over news print.  Once you got your desired color and darkness; pour half the resin into another bucket and set it aside.  Catalyze and Lam the bottom with one bucket and then lam the top with the other half.  This will insure color consistency.  Then come back later and freelap four ounce on the deck.  This is the way it is done.  Four ounce over the bottom is an option, not a requirement.  The reason guys do a final four ounce over everything is to prevent burn thrus that might damage the tint job.  If you have properly freelapped the four ounce deck far enough down onto the bottom you should be able to sand it without a problem.  The rails have the four ounce and that is where most burn thrus happen.  The flat six bottom should not be a problem unless you are a maniac with a sander.   Lowel

That sounds like great advice thanks. Am I right in thinking 6 oz tint will be darker than 4oz using same resin? Just curious, but yes I am gonna do exactly as you described there, thanks.