How many layers of glass can you laminate at once?

Hi,  I am about to glass my first foam board.  I am building a 52" paipo out of stringerless 2lb EPS. I was going to use either 4 4oz on the top and 4 4 oz on the bottom or 4 on the top and 3 on the bottom.  I was wondering how many layers of glass can you laminate at one time.  

Thanks

Thats a LOT of glass

2 layers is fairly easy to do with a quick kick epoxy.

if you have a slow kick epoxy you can do all 4 same time.

just stagger your laps.

also you can wet out a layer, add another … cut… wet out… add glass cut… wet out etc.

so all 4 in the same step just in a overlapping process. if you do it that way just cut your lap a bit longer each layer.

why so heavy on the glass???

lam one at a time.

whats the rush.

real he men,

lam all the layers

at once.Do one

at a time until 

you have something to prove

to yourself,or somebody…

…ambrose…

doing stuff wrong

is good practice too.

I am using so many layers, because there is no stringer and I want to stiffen it up.   Hopefully it will be about right.  This is the first of 4 I plan to build.

how much do you weigh and how thick is the board?

You may  be going overboard on the glass…

especially if it’s meant to be ridden prone?

Just IMO

3/2 layers is plenty, just make the laps wide. Go about 2 inches around the rail. Make the bottom layer longest then the next a little less and the last the shortest. That way it will be easier to make a smooth transition when you sand it down to do the other side. That will make a very strong and quite stiff board.

…regarding your original question:

depends on: the quality of the cloth; type of fibers; type of cloth; weight of the cloth; technique to use; how much overlapping; type of resin (viscosity, etc) and what QUALITY you want in your board; I mean, you can do whatever thing but the final result will be poor at it best. How much bubbles do you want? no bubbles at all? how about the surface and will be a clear or painted one?

-If you have the “how to s”, you can use 3 x 4oz perfectly good at once, or 2 x 6 oz. You can use 4 x 4oz (at once) with a more liquid resin and the results are very good.

How many layers of glass can you laminate at once? 

Two

Three

with enough beer its possible to do five…three layers of glass with epoxy with the left hand and two layers of glass with poly with the right hand!  (or vice versa in the Southern Hemisphere).

1.  That was funny, Keith. Glassing is difficult to do well.  I’d stick to 2 max. Mike

It’s a paipo, so using slow cure, you should be able to get 3 on clean without it going off. You should probably do a seal coat with epoxy and some kind of filler first. The foam won’t suck resin in when you do the lamination.

Keith, I can only laminate with one hand because the other hand has a beer in it.

I did 3 layers of 4 oz at once.  Then I did a hot coat and sanded it down.  Then I put a gloss coat on it.  It came out very strong and still lighter than my PU stingered board.  I used Entropy resin, which worked well.

for stringerless eps boards, i’ve found that doing a single top lam with lap, then single bottom lam with lap, then single top lam with lap gives a stronger result that bottom lam and 2 x top . 

Rather open an oldie than start a greenie.

I finally hit the right search terrms to find other people asking the same question I am wondering about. I made a board with 6+6+4 deck, and a tail about as thin as a cigarette paper. NOT FUN! Hours of bubble repairs and managed to cover up the fact I ever had a problem, but not something I wish to repeat. I am now doing a bonzer with a really nice tint which I want to get 100% right (uniform). I am glad I found this thread as I wasn’t sure if there were any problems caused by laminating two layers separately. I can see how it adds a bit of weight, hopefully not much (I do fairly tight laminations, too tight possibly going by comments from guys on here on a past board). So the only question is…

Should I do the 4 oz with tint, then 6oz clear over when cured, or other way around? Any and all votes count. Thanks

If I’m mixing and matching tint and clear laminations done separately, I always do the tinted layer on the inside.  If tinted on the outside, you might get a sandthrough and it’ll stick out like a sore thumb.  Some pros like Gene Cooper routinely laminate a clear layer of 4oz over their color coats.  

Tinted cloth goes on first. Top and bottom with a cutlap for each.  Then a clear over the deck lapped free lap onto the bottom.  You could also do a clear on the bottom freelapped onto the deck  The tint should be 4oz and 4oz or 6oz and 6oz.  Don’t mismatch weights of cloth on the tint,  a pretty normal standard on a longboard is a 6oz tinted bottom and a tinted 6oz deck.  Then a 4 or 6oz clear deck freelapped onto the bottom.  If a logo goes on the bottom; some glass shops will just put the logo/lam under a football sized clear patch.  Many shops also just clear freelap the bottom with logos underneath.  

If you are using Epoxy I recommend Greg Loehr’s   Epoxy Glassing Video.   In that video he does an Opaque yellow.  Very informative.  When using opaque it is not necessary to use the cutlap method.  He also use multiple layers of cloth.  That video will help you a lot.  Also the Glassing videos that Fiberglass Hawaii has put up YouTube.  Between those sources you will see for yourself.

Gene does that? Cool, I dont feel such a dumbass after all :smiley: