How many oz of epoxy for Future fin box?

How many ounces of epoxy is needed for a 3/4" Future finbox?  I was searching around and no luck.  My first time installing Futures and I want to prevent overflow.  I plan to do it in 2 stages so I’d like to know in advance the average amount.  PU blank.  Thanks!

my .02

I’d have about 4oz ready for 3 boxes.

There shoulb be some overflow when installing. 1/4 3m tape to cover the box hole and screw hole. To be sure of full coverage you should use a 1" brush resin on the bottom of the box and under the flange just before you push it in and there should be just enough resin in the hole so that a small amount of resin is squeezed up out of the joint, and out of holes on the flange. use a squeegee to clean up the excess

I think a 2 stage pour is something to consider for an EPS install, not necessary for PU

I use about 5cc epoxy resin per box but add milled fiberglass to mixed resin to a smooth peanut butter or 3 finger poi consistency. I spoon into flange and the deep base. Insert and collect excess and put back in cup to use for next box. The milled fiber takes away some of the exotherm concerns with EPS foam and a bit eaiser to work with. Down side an oz of extra weight. When finished recheck fin plugs in boxes for proper cant, remove fin plgs from boxes and wipe flanges one more time with clean rag. 20 minutes later, light careful sanding, insert screws deep, tape off boxes, spay air tac to boxes, place fiberglass patch, wet out and contiune working in 30 minutes.

1 Like

Print and save that procedure. Pro advice. 

Is this an international standard unit of measure?

1 Like

O yessah :call_me_hand:t4: thanks for the tips brah im building boards on big island.

Exact numbers depends on if you’re installing them before or after lamination but 18 oz of hardner and 40 oz of resin should be enough for set and backfill.