How to make a fin this color

Does anybody know how to make your fin look pearlescent like this? It looks clear in the shade but in the light it has all these colors. I’m going to be layng up a fin panel this weekend and want to try and have it look like this

My money is on it being a clear panel. I’d say the different colors come from the foil.

To get the clearest panel lay up the panel in sections of 10 wetting out 1 lam at a time. Kick to panel slow. This will keeping the panel from getting too hot. And take forever to make.

Dave

I’ve had many fins with no color in them and none looked like this. Can’t tell you how it’s done, but I like it. Very cool.

I use a lot of automotive pearl and metal flake in projects, either as a foam stain, or in the laminating resin (or even in a coat applied before the hot coat). I imagine it could produce this affect if you added it (it comes in a very fine powder form) to your clear laminating resin while laying up the fin panel.

You can get small sample amounts (5 grams) on Amazon for about $8 that would be plenty enough for a fin. Search “color shift pearl sample” on Amazon, you’ll find it.

I’m not saying that this is how the fin you posted was made, it’s just a suggestion.

Awesome thanks guys, I think I’ll try the color shift stuff from amazon and see how it goes. Other clear fins didn’t have that same look so I figured a little something extra was done to it

I see that the very thinnest parts at the base and tip are a mauve then quickly to a blue colour, then green at either end a lot of orange in the middle.
I think it’s from layering opaque colours and as the thickness changes the subtle colours.
Certainly the mauve in the middle and the green would produce that subtle blue hue. The surface colour is probabaly more red than orange but with the green behind it it looks orange.
Gentlemen… to the colour wheel !!

after closer inspection I think you may be right, it does look like the colors go with different layers. I already ordered the paint additive from amazon so I think I will end up using that. But maybe the next one I’ll try using very small amounts of pigment for certain layers

Might be refraction of light passing through a (translucent?) curved surface varying in thickness.

I try to stay away from anything that will end up creating a “fishing lure” affect. Glitter, flakes, color combinations, figured wood grains that can change as light hits it are some of the things I stay away from. No sense making something that might attract the big fish.

Very good point, that hadn’t crossed my mind

I’m not disagreeing with anything about the possible attraction of larger…fish, however I’ve seen a lot of boards and fins with heavy flake and pearl. I always thought of the “fishing lure” effect, but never heard of anyone having any type of extra attention drawn to them from it. I have a few handplanes with a lot of flake in them, and never had any type of repercussions (I usually swim out to a bit deeper water too).

I think you’ll like the pearl effect, it’s VERY subtle, like the photo you posted. Metal flake is what gives the flashy 70’s powerboat type finishes. Maybe try a test panel and see what you think? I suppose I like experimenting more than most though.

One fin I made out of Ipe wood, I made two halves and I layered seveal pieces of 7.5 oz cloth for the center of the fin and to compromise the Halo. I used Epoxy, I am not sure which brand/type but it could have been Apex or System 3 SB112. It was 10+ years ago.

Anyway when I peeled it off the glass and held it upto the light it had similar characteristics to what you are looking for. My 7.5 cloth was old and did not go completely clear in all parts, I have no Pics, but remember at the time thnking about making a panel using 3.7 oz E cloth with a water white epoxy resin could look quite neat with what it did to sunlight passing through it.

My Choice for this would be System3 Clear coat resin as it is very watery and very clear, and cures slowly ( 60 minute pot life at 75f) so One could take their time laying it out and getting all bubbles out.

Do you have any pics of stuff you’ve made with the flakes? I’m definitely gonna do a test piece first

I don’t know if the sparkly finishes of surfboards attract predatory fish, but Hawaiians are known to be superstitious. My grandfather was born when Hawaii was still a kingdom. He was very strict about following certain beliefs.
In the old days of Hawaii, one type of wood used for canoes and surfboards was Wiliwili. It is a soft, very light wood that we call Hawaiian Balsa. It is very light in color and often has a lot of figuring. The hulls were usually made from Koa, and the outrigger parts from lighter wood like Wiliwili or Hau. Koa is dark, very hard, but heavy. Some canoe hulls were made from Wiliwili. There are stories of how sharks would attack the canoes with Wiliwili wood, but not Koa. It could be that they knew the wood was softer, or it could be the way the wood looked. Wiliwili surfboards were usually only for the chiefs.
I only use Wiliwili on the decks of my boards.
Typical popular Hawaiian fishing lures made for trolling for large fish are made to look like squid, and have shiny metal flake finishes to reflect sunlight.
I decided several years ago to not use things that could cause light to shimmer or reflect and attract attention. Just being extremely cautious.

Straight clear, don’t use warp cloth, twist weave 7-1/2 oz.
As said, slow batch, 36 layers and when done cover with stretch wrap and work out any remaining air with a rolling pin working from center out.
It gets the pearl look from the prism effect when light passes through

RE; JimtheG. Proof positive why the old timers are so valuable to the forum. Experience cannot be underestimated.

Alright sounds like I will now be doing two panels! One with the flakes I already ordered and one as jimthegenious reccomends. The prism idea does make sense

Well I layed up the panel with 4 layers yellow tint in between the resin with flakes. Sanded finish looks pretty much brown but the glass side of the panel had the pearlescent effect, so it should be there after gloss. Here’s the rough foil, gonna fine tune and hotcoat tomorrow

Just needs a polish and the holes drilled

Just looks like Volan and ISO to me. Most clear Volans will refract light when held up to UV. Might be straight Volan and 249A. Pearlesque powder in the lay up causes refraction as well. Just an educated guess. Lowel. PS You won’t get that kind of refraction out of a tinted panel. But your yellow tinted fin looks good.