How to start shaping

Does any one have any tips on how to start shaping? And is it a viable source of income?

I cant comment on viability for income, but as a tradesman i would say, you wont make a living with no skill set or experience.

From a shaping poing of view, and as a newbie to the game, get your self some surforms, a few sanding pads and grades of sand paper. Some sort of measuring device and some pencils. Give yourself a day or two too shape it and get stuck in

KEEP YOUR DAY JOB

I did the math on it a few years ago. Its not about shaping boards…its about selling boards. I backed out all of the expenses and talked to a local shop so I would know where I would need to be with the wholesale price. The number I came up with was that I would need to sell a minimum of 400 boards a year in order to begin to make what I’d consider to be a decent living. Even looked into buying a machine to help with the numbers.

Profound advice, from an honest to God, surfboard SHAPER. Not a ‘‘ridge sander.’’ I agree with his perspective.

To me it’s a little like being in the music, modelling, acting etc industry. A lot of talented people to compete with and sometimes a bit of luck or who you know goes a long way. One thing for sure though is you’ve gotta love doing it and a sound business plan couldn’t hurt either.
I love working with my hands and love shaping. Could I make ends meet doing it?..Unlikely.
I’m not trying to squash dreams and you could be the next big name out there or paying the bills might be enough. Unsure of your skills or age? Either way, hassle all those shops and shapers locally to you. Sweeping floors for free on weekends is always a good foot in the door.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Steve

What he said and:
-Read through some complete ‘how to make a surfboard’ guides like the one at Greenlight Surf Supply.
-When you have a basic grasp of what the tools. materials, and vocabulary are then it will be easier to ask specific questions here or to others.
-Buy an appropriate DIY surfboard kit and work through it without trying to ‘reinvent’ it -instructions or the material set.
-Be open to people who have decades of experience telling you to try or do things differently
-Good stands and good sidelights really help
-Make boards, make mistakes, surf, learn, repeat…

First you have to learn how to address the blank.
Just kidding.
Get some foam and a surform, a shaping stand is a good place to put it.
Take pictures, ask questions, dive in.
Viable source of income? That’s a pretty tricky row to hoe, I would put that question off for at least a few years.

Got a lot of friends in the business, several own or ran shops. I heard “there’s no money in surfboards” more than once. Clothes and other stuff keep the stores open.
Making boards takes some time to get wired, at best you may only recover your costs until you really understand all the nuances that make a great board.
If you work for yourself, you have to pay a lot of taxes and you have to buy your own insurance. Federal, State, FICA taxes can take almost 50% of your income. If you rely on just making boards for your income, it will be a rough beginning.
Keep your day job, and make boards on the side. Then you can pay for the materials with sales, and work up to making money. I do know a couple of guys who have recently been able to quit their day jobs after making boards for years. They have their own label and riders all over, but it didn’t happen overnight, and they do make really nice boards. Helps if you do it all too.

Most here on Swaylocks have followed their board building dreams and most are probably happy they did, it’s a long trip with a big learning curve but very rewarding in different ways. Someone who’s about to shape their first board usually isn’t looking at the money angle. More like for the love of building something, the joy of working with their hands, or riding a board they made. There’s a lot of space between shaping your first board and earning a marginal income. Good luck with the $, could happen, most important is to get your feet wet and see if you enjoy it.

PRICELESS !

Good advise. I started in the late 80s in my parent’s driveway. I’ve made a lot of boards but its never been more than a hobby for me. Its just something I get a lot of joy and satisfaction out of doing. I took a serious look at trying to take it to the next level but the numbers just don’t add up. Even renting a space instead of working under the radar in my back yard shed and hoping the neighbors don’t complain doesn’t add up. Perhaps if there was a strong second source of income and health benefits I could make that leap but that’s not in the cards for me. I just enjoy making boards, enjoy riding something I’ve made and enjoy watching others surf on the boards I’ve made.

From a business model point of view surfboards should be sold for 3 times as much as they do now. Any other business professional would laugh at the amount of money made from making surfboards. Surfers/shapers from the very beginning have put themselves in this hole by trying to be everyone’s buddy and get/give the bro deal. Basically, if you want to make boards, it probably should be your second job and you have to love doing it otherwise it’s just a waste of time.

Take a cue from Ryan Lovelace:
https://www.surfer.com/instruction/how-to-be-your-own-shaper-with-ryan-lovelace/

Unclegrumpy, that link is really inspirational.

I think anything that combines art and manual finesse should be a path you fall into.

Jam5897, you may have had an indirect grilling because most people on this forum started with an interest rather than an urge to make money. BUT, do some shaping and see how you get on. You might be the next big thing or you might be self sufficient with your hobby, but just enjoy it. Learn from advice and mistakes.

I’ll post today’s royal f%*k up later. Lets just say I learned a hard lesson today!

No real barrier to entry, lots of people wanting to do it = no money. If you want to be core, learn to shape and glass. Then open a used surf shop, which people (the board sellers) literally buy shelf space from you to sell their own boards (25% comish). You can then direct customers to your brand of new boards, throw in a few cool shirts, leashes etc.

You will be poor, but you can open at 11 and surf everyday.

You will make twice as much money planing doors than foam.

Want a job?