How to tell if poly resin is bad/expired?

I bought a gallon probably in the last year or so but Im not sure… Is there a way to tell if the poly resin is expired? sould i just mix up a test batch of resin? like maybe a couple ounces and throw in some pigment just to see what happens? trying to glass my first shape. (unrelated)I do not have the patience to be a shaper… I tried to take way to many shortcuts and screwed up so many times… It was a fun experience but Im just gonna stick to buying boards off friends or local shops/shpaers.
I got the blank for free (varial foam) so im trying to keep the costs as low as possible by not hiring a glasser. I do have a little experience glassing so it shouldn’t be TOO much of a disaster. i am hoping my only expenses will be cloth, some squeegees, some brushes and a singlefin box

Shake it up real good and fire off a test batch. Odds are you’re just fine. I’ve had silmar sit a year and a half and used it on my own boards with no problem.

The rep told he it’s “best” if used within 6 months. If you buy it from a shop and it’s covered in dust you can have them call and ask the manufacturer and get a production date based off the batch number on the jug.

If it was for me I’d use it. If it was for production or a high paying customer I’d skip it.

Don’t shake it, stir it well.
As long as poly resin is still in a liquid state and has no lumps or ‘floaters’ in it, it is 100% useable. I have never heard of resin going bad after six months. I’ve used poly resin from a 1 quart batch that was over a year old and it was fine.

So we are assuming your gallon of resin is Polyester??? Yes six months is considered expired. But as mammy Sammy said; no floaters or lumps, still liquid means it is still usable. Usually all that happens is that it thickens with time. A year or two old may not be manufacturer’s recommendation but is still very usable. A totally differant story though when it comes to UV Poly as the UV additive settles. Epoxy of course as many know hardens with time and cool temps. It is still usable if heated and reliquified.

Title of topic: How to tell if poly resin is bad/expired?

Seems some people have trouble reading plain English?

You got me bro-Sam. Question; Have you ever tried to stir resin with a paint stick thru an 1 1/2" opening on a gallon can?

My bad; I didn’t think about using those Mickey D coffee stir sticks.