HUH????

i was looking up jets to draw a parallel to how MVGs work and i found this picture…

can someone explain this??

reverse step deck???

Look at fast boats. That’s where the inspiration originated on this one.

Mike

Looks painful.

A pic of the deck would reveal “through holes” that allow air to pass through to the underside. In an old interview with Barry K he stated that Herbie Fletcher made one that went so fast the air induction flaps blew off. Tom Morey also had an interest in them at one time and one of his prototypes was on display in the Ventura Surf Museum near the pier. Other people dabbled but I think some surf historians would agree that the two mentioned (HF and TM) played key roles early on.

TSJ did an article on Morey that had a few pics of these–aerating the flow under the board I think, for less wetted area drag? True, JM?

Looks like a glasser’s nightmare.

Thanks for posting, I’d be interested to learn more about it

found this little quote from the website it was on

Quote:

circa-early 70’s One of Tom Morey monumental steps in the direction of “air-lubricated”" designs. Featuring air induction deck holes, nine steps with fiberglass Filon sheet hard edge planning areas, removable fin. Deck features double pinlines, with progressive round tail design. As Tom said, ““The faster you started to go, the faster it went!”” Can you image using this now days with a jet-ski assist tow-in?!

Quote:

Early 70’s One of Tom Morey monumental steps in the direction of “air-lubricated”" designs. As Tom said, "“The faster you started to go, the faster it went!”

I wonder why they dont revise the design if it was that fast.

Even just for testing,

comparison,

reinvention with new materials,

application to modern style and techniques,

crossover into all surfcraft designs,windsurfing /kite/wake/ snowboards ?

What a quoteable quote from Tom, and then to leave it in a museum???