Hullbound

The quest for the midlength continues: I’m looking for a midlength board with lots of glide for a 150 lb surfer. Paddleability is key for the OB-like break where I’ll be riding it. I’ve heard and read a lot about Liddle displacement hulls, but this seems a really specific board for specific conditions. Here’s the question: does a displacement hull require a dramatic tecnhique change, or do they ride like thick, floaty midlengths (like the Peter Pan slug)? How much technique needs to be altered to transition from a longboard to a midlength of this design? All insights appreciated! Dingnut

They do not ride anything like the average board built today; 6’-8’ by 18"-22" no-nose, squash-tail thruster, or retro single fin, hard-edged eggs or even single fin longboards. If you surf with a heavy back foot, you will spin. If you to do slashbacks or snaps you will spin or walk right off the tail. That said, if you stand with a narrow stance in the middle of the board or slightly forward of center and weight both feet evenly, lean it over, way over, you will experience the most gratifying feeling in surfing; the pure rail turn. No squirt but smooth acceleration. As you start back up the face do the same thing on the other edge; more acceleration. There is no speed limit. They are a highly refined, high performance board and there will be a significant technique adjustment or you will be sorely disappointed. They work best in walled situations as they are not “quick”. They really need a nice squared bottom turn to get them going. Mine will be here in a couple of weeks (I hope, I hope) and will have runners (stringer parallel small fins set up adjacent to the stringer fin. The runners, according to Greg, will add some “quickness” and user friendliness doing cutbacks and going backside. I rode these boards back in the late 70’s at “the Cliffs” and they were magic. The feeling of turning and pumping one of these things is indescribable. Newbs

They do not ride anything like the average board built today; 6’-8’ by > 18"-22" no-nose, squash-tail thruster, or retro single fin, > hard-edged eggs or even single fin longboards. If you surf with a heavy > back foot, you will spin. If you to do slashbacks or snaps you will spin > or walk right off the tail.>>> That said, if you stand with a narrow stance in the middle of the board or > slightly forward of center and weight both feet evenly, lean it over, way > over, you will experience the most gratifying feeling in surfing; the pure > rail turn. No squirt but smooth acceleration. As you start back up the > face do the same thing on the other edge; more acceleration. There is no > speed limit.>>> They are a highly refined, high performance board and there will be a > significant technique adjustment or you will be sorely disappointed. They > work best in walled situations as they are not “quick”. They > really need a nice squared bottom turn to get them going. Mine will be > here in a couple of weeks (I hope, I hope) and will have runners (stringer > parallel small fins set up adjacent to the stringer fin. The runners, > according to Greg, will add some “quickness” and user > friendliness doing cutbacks and going backside. I rode these boards back > in the late 70’s at “the Cliffs” and they were magic. The > feeling of turning and pumping one of these things is indescribable.>>> Newbs Very sweet words, Newbs. Almost sounded like you were talking about surfmats, too! http://www.liddlesurfboards.com/index.html Dale

The quest for the midlength continues: I’m looking for a midlength board > with lots of glide for a 150 lb surfer. Paddleability is key for the > OB-like break where I’ll be riding it. I’ve heard and read a lot about > Liddle displacement hulls, but this seems a really specific board for > specific conditions. Here’s the question: does a displacement hull require > a dramatic tecnhique change, or do they ride like thick, floaty midlengths > (like the Peter Pan slug)? How much technique needs to be altered to > transition from a longboard to a midlength of this design? All insights > appreciated! Dingnut The hulls I ride range from 8-8 to 10-0, so I can’t really speak for the mid length hulls. I can however pass on the name of the shaper who has transformed my relationship to surfing with the magic hulls he crafts. He worked w/ Liddle for years and is local. He does not shape full time, but he might be available. Contact Paul Gross

Transitioning from a longboard it’ll probably make more sense than going from a shortboard. The first time I rode my 7’6" displacement hull I fell right off when I tried to turn it. The thing works like a charm at Malibu and ‘C’ Street when ridden with a certain deliberate approach. Like Greg says “down the line”. I think a twin or thruster is more suited to the more unpredictable conditions of the beach breaks I like to surf, where sudden changes of direction are needed. That being said, I must say that other boards have come and gone but since '79 I’ve always kept a Liddle. Visiting his shop in Agoura back in the 80’s, seeing the templates scattered all over the place, was a defining moment for me. I really admire Greg’s philosophy on surfboard building. Emulating his ideas is what got me started and still motivates me today. To answer your question: Specificly they are for point breaks; yes, they do require a deliberate approach; they do paddle just great (I’m 170lbs), but aren’t corky, rather, they’re very fast(super flat tail). As far as how much technique needs to be altered: don’t worry about that. If you go for it I know you’ll have fun.>>> The quest for the midlength continues: I’m looking for a midlength board > with lots of glide for a 150 lb surfer. Paddleability is key for the > OB-like break where I’ll be riding it. I’ve heard and read a lot about > Liddle displacement hulls, but this seems a really specific board for > specific conditions. Here’s the question: does a displacement hull require > a dramatic tecnhique change, or do they ride like thick, floaty midlengths > (like the Peter Pan slug)? How much technique needs to be altered to > transition from a longboard to a midlength of this design? All insights > appreciated! Dingnut

Very sweet words, Newbs. Almost sounded like you were talking about > surfmats, too!>>> http://www.liddlesurfboards.com/index.html>>> Dale newbs is sooooo right – i ride a 7’6" liddle – they are different – but they are fantastic and well worth the initial awkwardness – with that said, dale is ALSO right, i also ride a surfmat and the similarities, oddly enough, are there…the speed, the turning , the center riding, the overall joy! if i were you i would get both! i love my liddle and it has a special connection for me…i was riding it in perfect surf on september 11…haven’t ridden it since. rode my surfmat earlier this week while travelling to LA – much easier to pack than any surfboard and a total blast in almost any kind of surf tim

The quest for the midlength continues: I’m looking for a midlength board > with lots of glide for a 150 lb surfer. Paddleability is key for the > OB-like break where I’ll be riding it. I’ve heard and read a lot about > Liddle displacement hulls, but this seems a really specific board for > specific conditions. Here’s the question: does a displacement hull require > a dramatic tecnhique change, or do they ride like thick, floaty midlengths > (like the Peter Pan slug)? How much technique needs to be altered to > transition from a longboard to a midlength of this design? All insights > appreciated! Dingnut I have several Liddle’s and Paul Gross’ and ride them in everything.To be sure’ in some cases they aren’t exactly the most optimum board to be on,but the feeling of the board hooking up with the wave and all the other nuances of these boards, for me is well worth it. if you can get yourself tuned in on one you will be able to ride it most anywhere-well, maybe not Maverick’s!greg rides his all over Kuai, so that should tell ya something.If you concerned about the extremity of a full-nosed single fin platter,have Paul or Greg make something like Greg’s “in betweener” model.Go for it- you’ll be glad you did!

Matt… I need your advise on something…Please e-mail me:goofyfoot@thurston.com PaulJensen

Matt…>>> I need your advise on something…Please e-mail me:goofyfoot@thurston.com>>> PaulJensen Paul: I get Scatter Creek web page and could not find you anywhere-Help!Thanks. Matt

Matt …Just compose an e-mail message, and address it to …I have a fin idea that you might be interested in??? Paul

Matt>>> …Just compose an e-mail message, and address it to > >>> …I have a fin idea that you might be interested in???>>> Paul Paul-emailed you but if you responded I didn’t get it ‘cause our server was down. agian, it’s it on!