Hulls

Can someone please discuss the similarities and differences between displacement hulls ala Liddle-Greenough and convex bottom longboards with 50/50 rails. If you were to scale the two boards to relatively the same size, what characteristics would distinguish one from the other?

You should have been at S.A. 2003. There were some prime examples to check. Kirk Putnam and/or Matt Miller should be kicking in any minute!

There is no comparison other than the Liddle/Greenough thing evolved from the 50/50 round bottom long board…they are as different as a bird is from a Tyranosaurus. The bottom of a Liddle appears convex more as a result of pinching the rails than rounding the bottom. The “bottom” is actually fairly flat. The S deck results in more volume taken from the top of the rail than the bottom yet the apex of the rail is still 50/50. The “hull” is in the front third of the board, whereas most round longboards stretch the convex throughout the length. Unfortunately, you really have to see one to appreciate the difference. Kirk has a couple of new ones that, if he can manipulate the computer, he may post here. Hopefully, he’ll take some pictures from the side so you can see the S deck and rail contours.

unavailable due to Malibu waves

It’s Flat Today…NO EXCUSE

Looked head high to me!! It was just me and another swaylaholic and his friend… Roger

yeah, and i talked to that swayaholic-said he got to ride the latest PG simmons type v-bottom-said it frickin’ flew!!! as for the hulls,at least those done by Liddle and PG, utilize a tri-plane displacement hull( which is what Lee is talking about) wether it’s a longboard or stubbie.The difference is generally the hull depth and how the tail rails and area are finished-stubbie will have a down type rail in the tail with the area behind the fin totally flat, while on the longboard, the rail is left rounded and tail area is still somewhat round.( On stubbies, PG will also utilize a full Greenough style hull which is bowl like under the nose blending into a flat bottom though the tail with thin, round rails with a little edge at the tail.)I know this is a rather simple explanation, but that’s all I currently have the time for…