Hurricane Swell: Not wave of choice

Summertime here usually means flat waves and surfers watching for storm swells. People tend to get excited this time of year when they hear about another hurricane possibly producing large waves along the gulf coast breaks. The national weather center has lady “Rita” aimed directly at Galveston Island at least for now (jumped from a trop. storm to cat.2 cane in just a few hours once it passed into the gulf hours ago). Evac notices already started. Besides a fairwater ferry, there’s only one bridge off the island, so holding out in a major storm here on a 3 mile wide sandbar island doesn’t make good sense. So while I’m spending the day doing what I’d rather not, like dragging out the plywood, gassing up, and gathering goods for a possible road trip out of here, those elsewhere are frantically grabbing their boards for a “search for waves trip” this direction.

When it comes to waves, size doesn’t always matter. I’ll patiently wait for (or travel to) some waist high glass before I’ll get excited about dbl. overhead storm chop. Maybe I’m just getting old and too particular, but these hurricanes are no longer a novelty. Finger crossing, crystal rubbing, or prayers (choose your own weapon) welcome for the folks in the path of this new wavemaker.

Yeah, for me size doesn’t matter too. I live in Tuxpan, gulf coast too, and always prefer to wait for some clean small waves. With my 20+ lbs hollow wooden is better to stay away from OH hurricane stuff, even if it arrives after 1 month of no waves.

Jack

Jack,

Saw on your profile that you are in earth sciences engineering in Tampico, Mexico. I’m a consulting geologist in Nor Cal. Have always been curious about Tampico, Veracruz and other gulf coast locales in Mexico. Are you in consulting, teaching, government? Your location and vocation just sounded like an interesting combo. How’s the surfing and fishing there?

Jim

I’m working with a mexican company called COMESA, making 2D and 3D seismic surveys, actually in the boundary of Veracruz and Tabasco. The surf in the Tampico-Veracruz area is tipical of any other spot located in the Gulf (nice in winter, flat in summer) but there are some more consistent spots, and some you can consider “big wave” (around 10’ - 12’). I’m not in Tampico anymore, moved to Tuxpan a year and a half ago, where wave quality is better (for me and my style) and is less crowded. For example, in a good day, you can find 50 guys surfing Tampico, and less than 10 in Tuxpan. Attached is an old picture of my brother in law surfing an average wave in Tuxpan.

Jack

BTW, fishing is excellent in Tampico, many international contests are held there every year. take a look at http://www.sabalo.com.mx/

Jack

Quote:

The national weather center has lady “Rita” aimed directly at Galveston Island at least for now (jumped from a trop. storm to cat.2 cane in just a few hours once it passed into the gulf hours ago). Evac notices already started. Besides a fairwater ferry, there’s only one bridge off the island, so holding out in a major storm here on a 3 mile wide sandbar island doesn’t make good sense. So while I’m spending the day doing what I’d rather not, like dragging out the plywood, gassing up, and gathering goods for a possible road trip out of here, those elsewhere are frantically grabbing their boards for a “search for waves trip” this direction.

Has anyone heard from Richard McCormick? Are you out there Mr. Richard Mc San? How’s the house, shop, Family? Can we come over to help? With concern,

Galveston is fine. I know Richards Son-in-law and now that i have read this post i am going to call and see what he is up to. I will get back to you guys whether on what i find. I do know some facts like this place did get 100mph winds and some flooding but nothing what i was expecting when i was told a 5 was going to come rolling.

I got to Dallas about a day before all the traffic problems started. I heard some people sat in traffic for 32 hours. It takes me 4- 4 1/2 hours to get to Dallas normally and it took me 7 so hopefully he didn’t leave late.

Will get back to you guys soon. Best wishes.

Ty