Hydrofoil surfcraft

That’s the one. So far I have just taken the Doppler reading, am downloading the track to see if the speed is confirmed, the video didn’t look that fast and the waves were only head high, we will have to see . . . driving a new computer so have to install all the GPS trackmaker gismos, back soon.

:slight_smile:

check that calibration

our swaylockian spy sattelite

clocked yewe at 63.8 mph

the words you sensed us eating were te cans of alphabet soup we picked up at the market on sale.

Fine to hear you are getting some time away from the shop.

…ambrose…

your greatest supporter

formerly athletic

currently in convalescence

in a dust filled shaping phacility.

my mat can reach the speed of light

only when I’m on it,whadda drug.

no no no …I mean no drag.

Hi Brett, good stuff !

Looking forward to action pictures.

How about a new thread on how to remove thruster fins with maximum speed and satisfaction?. . . …

I like the sledghammer technique, used it myself once to remove a burglar alarm from a house, took the burglar alarm homE still flashing!

We notice that your wings are close to the bottom, that’s when I get interested.

Regards,

Roy

PS Sorry I didn’t mean to mention speed again;)

Hi Roy, I was just talking about you this morning to a lady named Sue from Philip Isle in Victoria.

Yes “sledgy” is a fav of mine, it does most things around the house and garden with extreme prejudice.

As grandma said, “if the screwdriver doesnt work, get a bigger hammer.”

But back to the foils…

I thought Id use the stability of a longboard to start off with the foils, the bouyancy helps get it airborne too.

The bodyboard is just as easy, bit it loses ‘run’ at the end of the wave when you pull off the back.

Regards, Brett.

Hi Brett,

Have you been riding those longboard foils already?

For surfboard like handling bringing the front foil back seems to work well because the nose acts as a counterbalancing weight which leads the board downwards into a turn when coming off the top. . … . this is useful as those twin foils can hang one up on the face sometimes (did you find that?) also the unsupported weight of a bit of nose assists with trim control. . .

Here’s that video Norm was asking for http://0000gyd.tnz.preview.hostingplatform.com/tunnelfish_0003.wmv

:slight_smile:

Hey Roy, looks like there’s just us here !

Yes Ive been riding the longboards and the bodyboards with foils. But the foils change after each surf so they evolve pretty quickly.

The pics I post are old and intentionally shy on details… you didnt think I’d post pics that a fin company could copy , did you??

I kept the distance between the foils on the longboards the same distance that was on the bodyboards, the 9’ 1" was a bit LOOSE to say the least, and the weight of the nose coming around, kept the momentum going, so a turn became a cutback. They look like longboards but turn like they’re 1/2 the length. So yes, the weight of the nose does help.

Didnt “hang one up on the face”…you mean like stalling?

Cool vid, dug the music and the trippy colours, very groovy !! Must be a lot of work to make it look good ?

I have my son showing up tomorrow so if theres waves I should get some pics.

Regards, Brett.

EDIT: Hey Roy did you get the pic I sent you? Is this how your foils performed ??

I don’t think this has been posted here yet…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wXGAd1gNfo&mode=related&search=

Hi Kai,

All the other hydrofoil-esque / airchair / flying kayak / aquaskipper stuff seems to be 'kinda like' a surfboard with hydrofoils, but Im trying and putting hydrofoils onto real <span style="text-decoration:underline">standard</span> bodyboards and longboards, with the hope of refining the idea so it can go onto shortboards. 

The science behind the idea says it can increase the speed, but I’m trying to retain all the performance refinements of a modern surfboard as well, (knowing that the public want “new” and “better” at the same time.)

Riding on foils is a different feeling to surfboarding and I’m sure there are real advantages when the design is further refined,but at the moment Im still at the very basic stage. They plane and turn, but getting all the design angles correct to cover the range of variations on all waves is taking a lot of time. Some shapes are quite fast, but cantankerous to turn, other shapes are only average speed but turn beautifully.

Just like the variation of current surfboard designs.

This thread started with Dale Solomonson from another thread, and I had hoped there would be other people who would have tried, or be currently inventing foils for surfboards ( rather than bolting someone elses idea to a board( re: Laird )), but it seems not.

Roy Stewart says he did a similar thing a while ago, so I have sent him a photo of my foils in action, but apart from him I’m on my own I suppose.

Out of the ~ 9000 views/viewers of this thread, if theres anyone else doing or contemplating hydrofoil surfcraft, please post and I’ll be happy to share what I know.]

Regards, Brett Curtis.

Classic thread full of pith and vinegar.
RIP MTB and a host of others either gone or MIA…
Btw, does anyone know if Roy’s still around ? Making boards ?
He had a lot of good info about foils 11 years ago and I wondered if due to the recent interest if he had ventured back onto foils ?
If you sold one board fo 1.3 M, would you bother shaping / working anymore ?

You’re not talking about (dare I say it) Roy Stewart are you? Also, has anybody seen the tuttle boxes for sale on fiberglasssupply? $79 is a bit much for me: http://shop.fiberglasssupply.com/Sailboard_Mast_Fin_Box-4_75in_Flanged_Tuttle_Fin_Bo_1.html

Yes Roy, I went to his site and there hasn’t been an update that I could see for a few months. I wanted to ask him about hydrofoils and if he was going to get involved.
$79 ! I’m sure anyone of us could shape a block of foam, wrap glass around it and make our own Tuttle boxes.

Or you could make a simple, re-enforced balsa, (deck-to-bottom) cradle.

This is how good it’s getting in the SUP world but they look like semi gun surfboards they’re using.
The paddle is just so you don’t have to prone paddle between waves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WzVKy-tP8M

https://www.facebook.com/Mat5o/videos/1894666174134131

I check Roy’s site every once in a while too.
That’s some of the best carving I’ve seen done on a foil so far…
My new foil is showing some good potential to be ridden standing up, (which is the intent).
and because it pivots from the rear rather than the front foil it could redefine how much carving is possible on a wave.
I don’t say that out of conceit or naivete but I haven’t been this optimistic since after the test of my very first foil and that optimism was mostly from naivete.
Brett Have you seen the pics I posted on Chrispi’s thread?
I’ve refrained from posting too many pics of it anywhere but I wanted to share it with my fellow foil builders.

Hi Dave, I had a look back a few pages but i couldn’t find a thread by Crispi. Here on Sways, General Discussion ? Maybe PM me.

PM sent sir,
but here’s the link
http://mypaipoboards.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=760&start=10

Dave,
Interesting variant.
Bill