Hynson's fluid filled shortboards...

Has anyone seen Mike Hynson’s boards with the fluid chambers inside? The ones that I saw appeared to be retro single fin shortboard designs with fluid filled chambers inside. When you tipped the board front and back, you could hear the fluid sloshing around inside. What’s up with that?

Has anyone seen Mike Hynson’s boards with the fluid chambers inside? The > ones that I saw appeared to be retro single fin shortboard designs with > fluid filled chambers inside. When you tipped the board front and back, > you could hear the fluid sloshing around inside. What’s up with that? rainbow bridge contraband?John, where did you see these boards? wouldn’t mind checking them out…

Matt - Yeah, I remember that movie. They took a knife and cut right into that nice airbrushed board and… well, you know the story. Saw the boards in the Beach House in S.B. - I think they’re gone by now. I tried Hynson’s web site but it’s under construction and an E-Mail was returned as invalid address. The water chambers must have something to do with weight/momentum shifts. Perhaps weighting the nose for a quick drop, then shifting back when you’re on the tail for a “no nose” effect? I was hoping to get an answer from the horse’s mouth but…

The water chambers must have something to do with weight/momentum > shifts. Perhaps weighting the nose for a quick drop, then shifting back > when you’re on the tail for a “no nose” effect? I was hoping to > get an answer from the horse’s mouth but… I could see this for augmenting rail-to-rail movement, but the nose/tail thing would seem “iffy”. I cracked the deck of a 6’9" DT Hollow W.A.V.E. back before leashes and thought doing the standard fiberglass repair was defeating the purpose of a new material, so I used “something else” :wink: and got a leak out at a reef break. When enough water had entered to make a difference the thing was a disaster. The water would shift front/back even when paddling. While it did add momentum on takeoff, bottom turns were a huge pain - like trying to crank it with a lead weight on the nose. Until suddenly the lead weight was on the tail… Nels

The water chambers must have something to do with weight/momentum>>> I could see this for augmenting rail-to-rail movement, but the nose/tail > thing would seem “iffy”. I cracked the deck of a 6’9" DT > Hollow W.A.V.E. back before leashes and thought doing the standard > fiberglass repair was defeating the purpose of a new material, so I used > “something else” :wink: and got a leak out at a reef break. When > enough water had entered to make a difference the thing was a disaster. > The water would shift front/back even when paddling. While it did add > momentum on takeoff, bottom turns were a huge pain - like trying to crank > it with a lead weight on the nose. Until suddenly the lead weight was on > the tail…>>> Nels I had a custom Hynson about 5 years ago and it was beautiful - to look at. It would’ve been more beautiful to surf if it had some rocker. Getting the thing done was a pain in the butt for both him and I - good thing his son has taken over so he can stick to shaping.

I had a custom Hynson about 5 years ago and it was beautiful - to look at. > It would’ve been more beautiful to surf if it had some rocker. Getting the > thing done was a pain in the butt for both him and I - good thing his son > has taken over so he can stick to shaping. It has been suggested that perhaps the best function of a Hynson chambered and fluid-filled board would be to add a series of discreet deck valves, and then surprise everyone in casual social settings by using it as an impromptu bong…

A 6’9" bong… nice, VERY NICE.

thats one i’d like in my quiver for sure…maybe painted bright green…

It has been suggested that perhaps the best function of a Hynson chambered > and fluid-filled board would be to add a series of discreet deck valves, > and then surprise everyone in casual social settings by using it as an > impromptu bong… hahahahahhahahah he said bong! hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

FOFLMAO!!!