"I missed this class" 10'6" Quad fin gun

My daughter’s boyfriend wants me to build him a big wave gun. No problem I have made a few. He wants a 10’6" no problem. He does not want it to break AND wants it light cause light weight boards “stay in the waves better”.  What am I supposed to do. I always thought light weight boards broke easier and a little weight was kind of your friend on BIG waves. I was not talking about a “stone” but “green density” blank with 1/2" stringer with double six cloth top and bottom. He is a board busting machine, he broke his last one in three places. And do not get me started on what he thinks its worth cause some other guy is willing to make him one for less than the “materials” cost me. and I get things direct. Have I lost touch or is light actually stronger and better in legit 25’ cold water lip launching waves.  He is my daughter’s boyfriend and I am trying to be nice but…

Big waves where he surfs equals chop!

Bumpy waves need heavier boards and Thors hammer is hardly a high performance wave.

He's your daughters boyfriend not your Son in law and even then NOT a team rider selling your products.

From one father to another when it comes to our daughters being nice is not putting out a green light on him!

OK, Ace, I've stopped laughing.    Took me a while though.    A 10' 6'' gun, with a 1/2 inch stringer, is asking for trouble.    Especially if he's getting ''froggy'' in true 25 foot surf.    New axiom: ''There are light boards, and there are unbreakable boards, BUT there are NO light unbreakable boards.''     Give him a choice, one or the other.

Dr Artz, The surfing  non-degreed physiologist says tell your daughter this guy is cheap whinier jerk She needs to date a better class of guy. 

So who is this other shaper? just his buddy with a planer and stars in his eyes?  It really does not matter you have a good rep in San Diego he should be happy you will make him a board with the Ace logo.  Give him a fair price and some hard earned facts you have learned in the past 30 years or so you have been making boards.  That all you can do.  You are the pro He is just a board busting Monkey your daughter is dating.

Dr Artz stands by what he says

To quote PACE PICANATE sauce

New York City---get a rope!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSxnieYctVM

sounds like the guy needs some education (cost of materials, labor, quality vs. speed)... you may be just the guy to do it too Ace... a few deep breaths first of course...

maybe if you explain some things to him he might listen? on the other hand, from about 16-24 i knew everything and couldn't be told anything so maybe not. but, it's worth the try

Thought you would like this one Bill. The blank and glassing where my “suggestions” for MINIMUMS. He “read” it on the internet on what he needs.  I showed him some pictures of some other style guns, one a really nice single fin legit Brewer that a friend still has hanging in his rafters. “Old school” he scoffed. My friend who has ridden the board in what it was made for almost threw the kid into the street.

“You are the pro He is just a board busting Monkey your daughter is
dating.”

I have not laughed so hard in years.

This is a funny post. Good luck Ace, it kind of sounds like you are in a no win situation.

If he knows what he wants get him in the bay with you and put him to work.

the boyfriend could use a heavy dose of humility

sounds like he’s headed for a two wave hold down in 20 ft surf

Artz nailed it.

“get him in the bay with you and put him to work”

He does not know what a screwdriver is. Hate to think what would happen with a planer…

do youself a favor and kindly pass

let the other guy deal with him

if there realy is another guy

Ace maybe next he will explain to you that he wants you to shape a copy of a CI or someone elses gun. LOL

Keep us up to date on this one ACE, we're gonna be in stitches :) :)

[quote="$1"]

My daughter's boyfriend wants me to build him a big wave gun. No problem I have made a few. He wants a 10'6" no problem. He does not want it to break AND wants it light cause light weight boards "stay in the waves better".  What am I supposed to do. I always thought light weight boards broke easier and a little weight was kind of your friend on BIG waves. I was not talking about a "stone" but "green density" blank with 1/2" stringer with double six cloth top and bottom. He is a board busting machine, he broke his last one in three places. And do not get me started on what he thinks its worth cause some other guy is willing to make him one for less than the "materials" cost me. and I get things direct. Have I lost touch or is light actually stronger and better in legit 25' cold water lip launching waves.  He is my daughter's boyfriend and I am trying to be nice but...........

[/quote]

I have 3 daughters........"BoyToy" pays full price until he becomes husband............If some other guy can beat your price , big deal !!! Send him over there....Lame ass Boy toy has no resepct for you....

My buddy was doing a repair on a sweet tri fin bonzer.....Eaton.....I look at the stringer...ACE....you do nice work....

Hold your ground....no such thing as a light gun that won't break........you already knew that....Ray....

Insult added to injury from a father of four weemons…

If boyfriend cannot manage screwdrivers you’d be hoping your gene pool is safe but typically these types cannot handle other tools because they’ve spent way to much time mastering but one…

It’s not all closeouts though, surely there’s a bed of poison ivy somewhere on the property that needs to be pulled while you leisurely work on the young studs gun.

Glue up some Home Depot strofoam with the labels turned, lay a few scraps of carbon on the surface then tell him that a special board is going to take a special blank and take some time meanwhile there’s plenty of chores around the place that you’d be happy to swap…

Funny thread…

I look at it this way, if he weren’t dating your daughter, you have told him what he can do with his 10’6" lightwieght, unbreakable, gun. Pass.

Glad you got a laugh out of that comment Ace.   I agree with Tio, tell him to park it where the sun don't shine.

I am at my computer desk and my 4.5 yo daughter is coloring me a picture of a flower. Reading this post just reaffirmed to me that I am not letting my daughter date until she is at least 40. Anyone know the phone numbers to any convents.

I am laughing at the post but crying inside.

Glad I have a mean little boy that will beat the snot out of all the "boyfriends". All I will have to say is sick 'em.

Make him what he wants at full price.

T