ID Velzy board

Is there any way to tell if this board was actually shaped by Dale Velzy? Is doesn’t have the Velzy lam but it’s got the “Malibu Express” lam and this signature (if you want to call it that) on the stringer.

Highly unlikely that Dale actually shaped the board. Most boards with a Velzy logo, were never seen or touched by the man. That includes the ones that I shaped for him in 1960.

Thanks for the reply Bill. Did he just license his name for them? I saw a couple other boards for sale that had the same type of signature on the stringer and I was curious how many he shaped vs how many were just using his name/logo.

Do you know if the “V1004 - 94” signifies the model and year it was shaped?

I’m sure the year of manufacture was 1994. As to the meaning (if any) of the rest of the numbers, is anyone’s guess.

Thanks for the info Bill.

Jim Phillips might be able to help. He was shaping the Malibu Express Velzys in the late 90s.
He’d probably know if the sig is legit, if nothing else.

Could be velzy signed his name on stringers of boards while someone else, like Jim, shaped the boards…

Actually this was when Barry Jones first picked up Dale by the boot straps and launched him back as a legal biz.
The boards was shaped by Dale, art by Tom Servantes at Channins where the glassing took place.
A year later Barry and Dale had me in the try outs, there were several others, but they didn’t make the cut.
After watching me hand shape one, Dale said to Barry later, “I’ve waited 50 Goddamn years for this guy to come along”

Well, there you have it. It’s a legit Velzy shape.
Jim, was Ralph Parker shaping there when you came on board?

I do not know if RP was working pre to this time, but when Dale neared the end he was using Ralph as he and Barry Jones were on the outs