Idle hands do the devils work.

No surf, except for speedy little tubes on the inside shorey.

Hmmmm.... 

Measure.

Half outline.

Get half outline on paper.

SF

Transfer half outline to other side.

Cut.

Trim.

SF.

‘1/3 sheet’ smooth.

Symmetrical.

Aqualine.

SF.

Screw or glue ?

Rout.

A simple solution.

And a bit of polish.

SF.

Looks intriguing from all angles.

Form.

Finished.

Function.

SF.

Imperial Stormtrooper Forearm Protector.

Materials: plastic pipe, part of traction pad, epoxy glue.

Cost: nothing.

Time: Hour and a bit on a Sunday arvo.

And now I’m a bodysurfer.

SF.

bloody hell fo a second there i thought you were making a tunnel fin

then i thought “welding mask”

nice one

a photo of you using it in the water would be cool

Thanks for that Silly !

My wife said Darth Vader, my brother said Ned Kelly. Or Masquerade.

I’m just tarting it up at the moment with other deck grip bits and pieces but I will take the waterproof camera and get some pics tomorrow.

Brett.

out of it :slight_smile:

lol

love it

I had some old gorilla grip, reshaped the 2 G’s into an S.

And added the other ‘tick’ elements from my avatar.

SF

The grip added bouyancy so it floats quite well now.

The white looked plain.

So Ive put one coat of Marine Blue over the top.

It still needs another coat or 2 but then I’ll be happy with the way it looks.

SF.

That thing looks amazing! how does it go? It’s great to see how you make things look totally space-age every time.

Great job!

Outstanding. Plus as the handboards begin to pile up, they are easier to hide, the better to avoid the dreaded question “Why do you need so many?”

And if you’ve enjoyed the experience and like playing in the water with them, they will begin to pile up…every bit of scrap or trash you see will make ideas pop into your head.

Just love seeing that progression of indistinct object, to roughed out and course, to fine and sublime.

There is always something something magical about how mind driven hands can “pull out” the flowing form and function hiding in inert matter.

Thanks for the pictures.

Rick

Looks pretty cool. Reminds of the “Handgun” that they used to make in the early 80’s. I think the “Handgun” even came with a leash.

Quote:
" And if you've enjoyed the experience and like playing in the water with them, they will begin to pile up...every bit of scrap or trash you see will make ideas pop into your head.

I made one out of the head of a plastic toy shovel I found, it didn’t work too well.

SURFFOILS, did you think about heating up the pvc to flatten it somewhat? You could raise the finger hold and flatten it to make a more effective planning surface. the great thing about that pipe is that you can get multiple guns from one piece.

Quote:

SURFFOILS, did you think about heating up the pvc to flatten it somewhat? You could raise the finger hold and flatten it to make a more effective planning surface. the great thing about that pipe is that you can get multiple guns from one piece.

Viewing the bottom of a HydroPaipo

Top view of another HydroPaipo, or as Roger Wayland called it a Hydro Tubes Paipo…this one with multiple pvc tubes.

Eventually the bottom panel of 4 smaller diameter tubes separated. Roger liked the way it rode with just the two bigger ones

best. Yes, it did ride and it did hydroplane, rising out of the water. On one of the various Hydros a friend of his spoke of hearing a strange gurgling noise

as he rode.

Quote:
Quote:

" And if you’ve enjoyed the experience and like playing in the water with them, they will begin to pile up…every bit of scrap or trash you see will make ideas pop into your head.

snip:

SURFFOILS, did you think about heating up the pvc to flatten it somewhat?

Thank you fellas for your replies.

I tried it as-is but it didnt hold enough water so I did stick it in the BBQ and flatten it out. Just a few minutes is enough.

Some might remember that Ive tried that technique on all the thermoplastic hydrofoils I made for bodyboards a few years ago.

(scanned)

Initially it was ~6.25 across at the tail,( see first post pic)

now its 8", See bottom of pic.

Eef, it goes better as a wide body and Ive got some action pics to come.

Second coat of paint on today and Ive got something else in the pipeline to try with this board.

Thank you for the kind words guys.

Brett.

SILLY asked for action pics but I dont have an assistant so I figured I’d build a camera rig.

An aluminium flat bar bolted to the handboard in 2 places and the waterproof camera will be securely taped and cable-tied to the other end.

Its actually my mobile (cell) phone in the pics but you get the idea.

Heres the POV or point of view angle, Im trying to get a little bit of foreground and a lot of background.

I can bend the bar to change the angle but its likely to bend in the surf anyway.

Should be ready to roll in a few days.

SF.

So heres a few action pix,

First heres one of the action from home.

It was a great day at Manly, and there were a few hollow waves about. The camera has a ten second timer on it and its hard to guess where you’ll be 10 secs after pushing the button.

Paddling for a wave that was yet to arrive.

And going under a set.

I took exactly 40 pics but the camera is in the wrong position, its just too far away from the handboard and the balance is way out. Its easy to balance when not on a wave but when ON a wave its nose heavy and I had to pull it up and then it didnt plane smoothly and in the end its just not right.

But I’ll try again.

Brett.