Infiniti and beyond!

Apologies - I know this is a shaping forum but I’ve been trying to get my hands on an Excel suit in the US to use over here in Blighty and have had no luck whatsoever!

I’ve been looking for weeks and even sent some mates on a mission while they were in Cali recently…they came back with nothing! They went north and south and said nowhere sold thick wetsuits :frowning:

I’m after thick rubber so I guess East coast is my best bet?

Can anyone recommend a good online shop in the US that sells Infiniti Hooded 5mm wetties?(pref on the East coast) I have a mate in Florida who can post it over to me…

I’ve tried Excels website but it’s pretty useless - as most of their stockists don’t have online shops/websites

I’m gonna freeze to death in another month or so! :wink:

thanks in advance,

SF

Dunno if this is helpful…its not about Infiniti…

I’m really happy with Rip Curl Ultimate Elastos. I have a 4/3 and a 3/2, and the 4/3 is my second one. They hold up well.

I’m from north of San Francisco, typical water/air temp at dawn when I usually surf in winter is around 42F water, 36F air. The 4/3 is plenty, especially with a thermo-type rashguard under.

Rip Curl has 6/5 and 6/4 and 5/4 models as well. All the Ultimates are super stretch, taped, etc. Some are zipless.

www.ripcurl.com has a store locator too. I used it on the UK (its flash so I can’t link to results) there are 460 Rip Curl retailers in Great Britain, including one in Cardiff, Wales.

That’d be my recommendation, anyway…

http://www.onlinescuba.com/category_pages/xcel_products/xcel_infinity_mens_41755.htm

dive one . . though

try googling it or send an email to xcel explain what you want and if their customer service is any good they’ll point you in the right direction . . .

STEVE DANIEL SPORTS UK dealer

01752 601410

they have some in France too . . .

IMHO, excel is good, but my body type fits Oneill better . . . they both have stretchy material … .

If you can’t find what you’re looking for I can ask at the Excel shop here on Oahu. Message me if you want.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?hl=en&lr=&btnG=Search&tab=wf&lmode=online&q=xcel+wetsuit&price1=200.00&price2=400.00&lnk=prsugg

http://www.boardtactics.com/mfg/Xcel+Wetsuits/SURF/Wetsuits/Full+Suits/

K5 in San Diego sells the Xcell infinity system suites, but I doubt that you could ind a wetsuite over 4.2 in any surfshop in Southern CA, try a dive shop, or to get one straight from the supplier. Any surfshop should be able to special order you one.

Cheers,

Austin

Quote:

I’m really happy with Rip Curl Ultimate Elastos. I have a 4/3 and a 3/2, and the 4/3 is my second one. They hold up well.

I’m from north of San Francisco, typical water/air temp at dawn when I usually surf in winter is around 42F water, 36F air. The 4/3 is plenty, especially with a thermo-type rashguard under.

Rip Curl has 6/5 and 6/4 and 5/4 models as well. All the Ultimates are super stretch, taped, etc. Some are zipless.

www.ripcurl.com has a store locator too. I used it on the UK (its flash so I can’t link to results) there are 460 Rip Curl retailers in Great Britain, including one in Cardiff, Wales.

That’d be my recommendation, anyway…

Cheers for that, tbh I’ve had Ripcurl suits beofre and am totally unimpressed with them.

My Summer ‘Classic’ leaked in through the back 1st time I wore it - nice and flexible and in summer it doesn’t really matter so I’ve hung on to it. My mates did exactly the same.

I then bought a ‘Raptor’ winter suit 5/4/3 and it leaked in through the back of the knee on one leg, 1st surf - very flexible but on the whole I find Ripcurl to be poorly made. Again I stuck with it as the surf was pumping. I ended up buying a thermal rashie and it was nice and snug. It has now become my Autumnal suit.

I know alot of surfers wear them but I think this is down to good PR, sexy designs and Pro surfing rather than making quality suits.

My mate bought the 6mm Ultimate last winter and said he was a bit dissapointed with it although he was pretty warm initially he wasnt much warmer than me after a few hrs in and this was abrand new suit. Personally I could never wear 6mm, even in the UK- just too much rubber! :wink:

I’ve had mixed reviews about O’Neill wetties - a lot of mates returned theirs last season as they were flushing in through the neck but this might have just been down to a dodgy batch - I don’t know… but it put me off getting one this yr.

The best suit I’ve ever owned was a Billabong Absolutex2 with built in hood, lasted me for abut 5yrs!

I don’t know about you guys but nowadays I seem to be buying a new winter wettie every 2 yrs?! You’d think they’d be lasting longer nowadays with all this supposed new technology!..although I’m sure

half of it’s just gimmick.

I guess if you’re surfing in warmer climes it doesnt matter so much - you don’t notice the difference in build quality.

This time around I thought I’d go with Excel - I’ve yet to hear a bad thing said about them and they are one of the few companies that do a built in hood - a must for colder winters. Those popper things on the Ripcurls are terrrible! Why we don’t have built in hoods as standard in the UK - I just don’t know?!

You can always take it down if you’re hot or don’t like them but they’re the only system that stops the dreaded flushing!

Sorry didn’t want to turn this into a wetsuit rant, but I have!

:slight_smile:

NO worries on the rant - we’re all entitled from time to time :slight_smile:

Sorry your Rip Curls have been sub-par. I agree that they seem to develop leaks. One of the shoulders of my suit audibly ‘exhales’ on every left-handed paddle stroke!

But with the thermo rash guard, I find them warmer than anything else - but I attribute that to a good fit to my body type. O’Neills leave big air gaps in certain places (small of the back for one) and Billabong & Quik suits don’t like my hands, feet, or head and want to pinch them off.

My son has an Xcel - I agree its well-made - but its thick & stiff. Maybe its just the kids suits, its a size 10, but I wouldn’t want to paddle in it :slight_smile:

Might look at Hotline too. Made in Santa Cruz, lots of permanent hoods, good reviews from the Ocean Beach & Mavericks crew…

cheers Benny!

what suit has your son got? - excel claim to have 300% flex in the Infiniti…

My only gripe with them is that they are tricky to escape from!

I felt like Harry Houdini in the shop! :slight_smile: and felt even sillier as the new stock was in so I had the shop manager and a few interested parties gather round to see how they looked!

A mate has a similar system on his c-skins wetsuit - a UK company and said you get used to it! Plus wetsuits will always give a bit after a bit of wear n tear…

The zip at the front is so small - you have to wiggle a bit until you’ve got one shoulder out before making good, your escape.

But at least this means there won’t be any nasty flushes coming through the back or neck!

wearing my second xcel now… remeasured myself and got a better size and the newer suit is way more flexable…also alot warmer…it is the firt suit i have ever owned that actually fits my long arms…I will stop gussing now…

on a more surfboard related point though I have just realized I love doing ding repairs.

Are you looking at getting an Xcel suit from abroad because they are not available here in the uk or are you hoping to take advantage of newer model/cheaper/end of season or the exchange rate?

I have had quite a few RipCurl Ultimate Elasto Zipperless (hooded and non-hooded) from the US and the good thing is that if there are any problems I can send back to RipCurl France under Warrenty and have a replacement/fix in about 3 weeks.Worth checking Excel offer similar deal.Watch out for duty and handling fee by UK post office/courier but you probably know that from importing a board.Looking forward to winter?

Quote:

what suit has your son got?

This one :slight_smile:

Swordfish, I’ll second the motion on considering a Hotline. They are made, as stated, in Santa Cruz where the water is cold. I had a Hotline back in 1996 and it was very warm. Lasted 3 years, which is pretty good for a wetsuit these days. It seems like the more flexible the material, the less durable it is. Maybe they’re getting better on that. My O’Neill fits really well and doesn’t leak at any of the seams, but does get some neck flush. The newer O’Neill’s have a pull over flap inside now to help with that. Doug

Alas that one is too small for me Benny!

:wink:

Quote:

Are you looking at getting an Xcel suit from abroad because they are not available here in the uk or are you hoping to take advantage of newer model/cheaper/end of season or the exchange rate?

I have had quite a few RipCurl Ultimate Elasto Zipperless (hooded and non-hooded) from the US and the good thing is that if there are any problems I can send back to RipCurl France under Warrenty and have a replacement/fix in about 3 weeks.Worth checking Excel offer similar deal.Watch out for duty and handling fee by UK post office/courier but you probably know that from importing a board.Looking forward to winter?

Hi Pembs,

I’m from Pembs too, small world… but I’m working in Cardiff these days so surf porthcawl area and the odd Gower reef when I can be arsed to make the trek!

You can buy Excel suits in the UK but they are few and far between…

I’m looking to take advantage of the exchange rate tbh and spend the difference on new boots and gloves!

Yep I always look forward to Winter! Summertime is just a bonus now…if we get waves great but the crowds spoil it nowadays.

Winter is great, big swells and isolation, just how I like it.

I need to get a few good sessions in down in Pembs soon - it’s been a while since I was down there…

Sounds like you’re a Ripcurl man through and through?

I don’t want to be sending suits back under warranty though… you shouldn’t have to if it’s properly made in the 1st place! :wink:

Yep I think I’ve got the shipping covered…‘gift’ should do the trick

Swordfish, you gotta stay away from the entry-level suits. The ultimate elastos and fireskin ones are light years (ha!) ahead of the lower-level models. I’ve got an ultimate elasto 5/3 hooded zipless, and love it. Another suit I would recommend is the quicksilver cell 5/4 with the diagonal chest zip. Flexible, easy to get in and out of, zero flush.

Benny, are your sons rapping?..

a fair point…trouble is I dont want to spend more £ if the company are making leaky suits…

my mate has had the ultimate Elasto from a few yrs ago ad recently bought the Fireskin.

I’m sure the £250+ wetties are good but ‘Pembs’ in his earlier post said he’d returned suits under warranty many times? This to me, tells a story…

If I’m spending £220+ I want quality! this means no leaks!

Just ready for a change - I’ve done the Ripcurl thang, done the Quiksilver, the Billabong, Gul, Alder…

I’d consider O’Neill and Excel now. I’ve never heard anyone say anything negative about Excel.

My mind is made up! :wink:

Ripcurl don’t do a built in hood either in 5mm - do they? Only 6mm… I can’t wear 6mm, it’ll feel like I’m carrying a seal on my back! lol

5/3 hooded was not a typo. Great suit, but if you’re stuck on excel, don’t go with their entry level suits either! I had an Icon 4/3 and hated it! Worst suit I’ve ever owned.

Afraid I can’t offer any more help than that. Good luck!