Interesting article from magic seaweed

The article has a link to a bit more hands-on information, but nevertheless weak in the nuts and bolts of it all, they definitely gloss over the learning curve part, especially with glassing, but I think they also make some very good points that are largely overlooked in the general surfing population.

https://magicseaweed.com/news/5-reasons-why-everyone-should-shape-at-least-one-board/11623/

5 REASONS WHY EVERYONE SHOULD SHAPE AT LEAST ONE BOARD

by Matt Rode on 15th November 2019

…Half a century ago, tons of people made their own boards, including many of the world’s best surfers.

But in today’s age of CAD-cut blanks and Chinese popouts, most of us have completely lost touch with the surfboard design and construction process. The mystique behind our boards is gone, replaced by the convenience of stock boards and performance of space-age technology.

This is not a good thing. The relationship between a board and its builder is part of what made our culture what it is today, and is something that we need to work harder than ever to preserve, especially as production boards go the way of the snowboard. So next time you have a few spare hours on your hands, pick up a blank and start sawing away. Here are five reasons why you’ll be glad you did.

It’s fun

Virtually every stage of the surfboard building process is enjoyable, from dreaming up your design and templating it on to the blank to figuring out how to work a planer and screening in your rails. If you are excited about surfboards, then making your own will be one of the most memorable experiences in your surfing career. And the best part is that you get to ride it when you are done.

It’s not as expensive as you think

How much does a new board cost these days? $500? $1000 if you are buying a longboard? You can shape and glass three boards for the cost of one commercial board. Sure, they might not be perfect, but you’ll never feel like the $200 you put into them was a waste. Hell, you probably spend that much on a night out.

It teaches you to appreciate boards more

When was the last time you really sat down and thought about how much work goes into a surfboard? How many hours have you spent contemplating bottom rocker, fin placement, nose rocker, or volume? We all know these things exist, and like to talk about them because it makes us sound like we are surfboard authorities, but until you shape a board yourself, you will never truly understand the various factors that go into making a good sled—or truly appreciate the master craftsmanship that the top shapers have developed over the years.

It won’t affect your surfing that much

Shape a groveller first, if you like.

The most common excuse I hear for not shaping a board is that it will just be a waste of time and money, because it won’t go well. I call bullshit on that. If you are a good surfer, you can ride anything—just look at what Dane Reynolds does on the intentional mutants he calls surfboards. And if you aren’t a shit-hot surfer—and let’s be honest, most of us aren’t—then you probably won’t notice the difference anyway. Also, there’s no reason to try to shape a high-performance board. Shape something with more margin for error, something that is a bit less sensitive, like a longboard or a fish. Then go out and see what it’s capable of. You may be pleasantly surprised.

It will make you a better surfer in the long-run

At the end of the day, the more different boards you ride, the better you will surf—and that applies to homemade boards as well. Rather than getting stuck in the mindset of surfing the same hi-fi shredstick your entire life—a board that makes you think you are shredding, even if you aren’t—it is much more beneficial to test a wide variety of boards. Long, short, fat, skinny, single, twin, thruster, quad—every different board will help you discover new things about surfing. So go build yourself a board and fall in love with the sport all over 

thinking of your board as a non-disposable is the first step

helps if you made it to last forever like in the odl days and then have to fix all the dings to make it last forever

which means fixing dings so you can’t see then anymore which is an art into itself

I remember that in 79’ the only circuit pros who made their own boards were MR and Simon Anderson.

Like that effort was worth it !

Sure MR won 4 titles and Simon forever changed the face of surfing worldwide.

And then they were able to make a living from their shaping skills post-pro.

i wonder if the new pros have adopted ‘hands on’ shaping or not  as an insight into surfing as well as a career ?

I’m sure that Machado and Slater have seen more than a few boards hand shaped.  Yet I can’t imagine that they are hand shaping now.