Interesting Hydrofoil Tow-In Tech

1 Like

Video takes a few seconds to load on my iPad.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4ygCsZSh6a/

My mate has just built one of these using an old Bodyboard with an electric foil motor mounted underneath. Haven’t seen it in action yet but it’s a cool concept.

1 Like

OK that was not what I expected! I follow another account on IG that features a motorized foil that looks super interesting, aside from the fact that I am kinda philosophically opposed to any kind of motorized surfcraft. The thing that appeals to me about these is the potential for having fun in un-surfed spots. Seems like a lot of places that get swells but not really rideable-shaped waves can be opened up to riding the swells. For a guy that will often sit in crowded point break surf for a couple hours just to get 2 or 3 decent waves, this appeals to me. I don’t get to the beach every day, and if I go out for a couple hours, its not to sit in the lineup with a crowd, its to get some riding time.

I seriously doubt anybody could paddle-in surf the unbroken waves he’s catching/riding. The take-off velocity is significantly higher and hydrofoil drag significantly lower. If you watch the video at the “ZeroTow website” link I posted, not a soul at the site where he is riding/surfing.
I see lots of towing possibilities. Increase horsepower and safety, a world of new horizons open ups.

I agree, and hence, that is why these caught my attention. The IG account I referenced is MisterBennets, and he rides a motorized foil as opposed to a foil towed by a motorized device. But it looks like a boatload of uncrowded fun.

Adam Bennetts (@misterbennetts) • Instagram photos and videos

1 Like

I was interested for similar reasons. I like that the towing craft is left behind while you ride without motor. Then it can be recalled.
In addition to tow-in possibilities and flat water towing, I see situations where it could be useful for energy conserving tow-out.