IS q-cell just foam dust? And if so can I make my own?

I’ve got enough foam chunks laying around and some days I’ve got the gift of time. If I were in a clean environment and ground up some foam real fine can I use that as q-cell?

Q-cell is fine, light-weight, microsphere glass bubbles specially designed to be added to resin as a thickening agent. Foam dust mixed with resin just isn’t the same, but might work for a tiny repair in a pinch. Maybe do a search of the archives, or a google search, for some homemade filler ideas. Small foam scraps are handy for dutchman style ding repairs.

Yeah, I figured there was no such thing as free lunch. I like doing those but in repairs with blocks, but I’m also cheap and don’t want to pay for shipped micro-balloons :rofl:

I hear you, but if you surf regularly and repair your own boards, or maybe also your friends’ boards, its worth the investment for a small tub of the stuff, it’ll last awhile.

Q-Cell Ding Repair Micro Balloon Filler Powder — Greenlight Surf Co. (greenlightsurfsupply.com)

If anyone wants some “glass beads” - PM me, I may be able to hook you up…

1 Like

I get my fillers, cloth, two part pour foam and a lot of other stuff from this site.