is shaping addicting?

do the people here find shaping surfboards an addicting pasttime/hobby/profession?

I know plenty of guys who quit after #'s 1, 2, or 5.

Different strokes for different folks.

Its very addicting in my opinion.

why do they quit?

Plenty of reasons.

Most surfers just buy their boards, never needing to shape.

Mess, no space, tons of disposable money, creative interest in another direction, no time, why handicap your progress with less than perfect boards, any # of things.

Almost NO pros shape, and they surf OK. Some do shape, and they surf OK.

Quote:

do the people here find shaping surfboards an addicting pasttime/hobby/profession?

Hi, my names Rick and I’m a Swaylockholic. But seriously, I can quit anytime…

Yup. I used to love shaping and hate glassing. Now I love em both. The more I shape the more I want to.

Its easy to quit messing with surfboards. I’ve quit dozens of times.

Quote:

why do they quit?

You should be able to answer this question yourself. Surfing, shaping, along with almost any other trade has people from all walks of life.

addictive personalities just change focus ,… . I am currently addicted to doing constructive stuff every day… the A A.D.D life marathon continues and I quit shaping at least 3 times a week …THE LAST time I stopped shaping was last week when I was polishing SOUP’s board… it was a glorious success perhaps he will post some details…the green water salmon creek rails were simply mesmerizing all that was needed was a helgemite pictograph to copy onto the hotcoat…ambrose… aloha from waipouli

YES! - but I can see why it would not fit some people’s personalities

time and space has forced me to shape in my mind for now, but I hope to get my garage cleaned out so I can build 2 boards before Christmas (xmas presents).