Is there a way to remove fiberglass?

I was given and old beat up long board by a friend and I want to cut it down and shape it into something for my daughter but first I need to remove the fiberglass. Has anyone done this? My first thought is just to use the planner, but I thought I would get some opinions first.

Josh

hard sand a seam on the rails and peel.

Heya Brotha,

I have used a trim router set to cut just below the glass in long strips about 4 inches wide or so. Then I took a large flexible putty knife - like a sheet rocker would use - and slid it underneath to keep the foam from coming up with the glass. The rails were the hardest to do. Make sure you cover your arms, mouth and eyes when cutting that glass.  

Use a laminate trimmer (small router), a Roto-Zip or full sized router.  Set it only deep enough to cut thru the glass.  Very shallow.  One eigth to one quarter.  Make a pass around the rail edge.  Two more cuts;  One above and one below.  Deck and bottom. Then make a cut down the stringer top and botton. If necessary make cuts dividing the panels into smaller pieces.  Peel the glass.  You'll have $100- 200 in labor and a crap blank when you are done.   Spend $50-130 for a blank and forgett about it.  Time is money.  For the time you are going to put into it you could buy a decent blank.  But if your time has no value and you think stripping an old board is some kind of "labor of love" ;  have at it.   You'll soon see what I mean and learn a valuable lesson.

I’ve done what you’re thinking about twice and I’m not sure I’d do it again.  After I stripped the fiberglass, I spent many hours patching up the missing foam and laminating soft spots on the deck.  Since I’m new at shaping I think the added labor helped me think through problems I wouldn’t have otherwise had to deal with, but I don’t think I want to spend so much time again.  On the other hand, it is pretty cool to see what you can get out of something that looks like it’s unsalvagable.  Both these boards were shaped after stripping the fiberglass off a couple super ugly longboards.

[img_assist|nid=1056517|title=4' 10" MiniSimmons|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=67]

[img_assist|nid=1057195|title=5' 2" Hippo del Fuego|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=67|height=100]